1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Fear I May Have Been Stiffed!

Discussion in 'The Business of Clowning' started by Pickles, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

This has never happened to me before, but I haven't yet been paid for a gig I did two weeks ago.

I always collect payment after my gig. (No, I don't use contracts. Hold your lectures, please, I know I probably should.) This show was at an established and respected preschool. I stuck around after my magic show, waiting for my payment. The owner of the preschool, who hired me, was not present. The teacher who was there looked puzzled when I asked if she had my check. I gave her my business card and asked her to have the owner mail me the check. When I got home, I mailed an invoice to the preschool. So far, nuffin.

How much longer do I wait before I send another invoice or call them? I honestly can't imagine that they aren't going to pay me, but this is making me a little uneasy.

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

For me, the worst payer has been a group that hired me three times, signed a contract, and mailed me a deposit. Each time, it is a month later before the check arrived in the mail. This year, I sent an invoice showing the amount still due and was told the check was on the way. The following week, I emailed them again asking if they would check to see if it had been returned. When the check arrived, it was dated the day after the last email. Contracts don't guarantee quick payments. But, calling the person who booked you might help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Pickles

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait another week or so. Unless other arrangements are made (sometimes agents or large corporations tell you in advance they will mail you the check later), I am accustomed to being paid on the spot.

4. I always get paid right after the gig I have my assistant (my mom) collect the money. I did have one place not want to pay me because I forgot my Balloon (Only time it ever happened it was my 3rd gig I think) but I got paid. Luckily I never really had to deal with what you have.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Don't let to much time go by!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

I did an event once for what was supposed to be a fund raiser for underprivileged kids or something, and it was put on by a local bar, once I got there, and gave the guy his invoice he said to come find him before I left and he would pay me, Well He disappeard, so I went and waited outside his door and asked for him 2 or 3 times I waited for almost a half hour, Finally I went home de-clowned and went back to the event, and asked if I could see him, and oddly enough, he came right out when they didn't recognize me. So you might want to just stop by and talk to the person who hired you. Or you could pay some large male friends to follow you in in suits and sunglasses with baseball bats.. that could get you a good tip too.. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

If I were owed money, I would call the very next day.

8. Pickles

I called on Monday and was told the check would be in the mail that day. Now it's Wednesday, and it still hasn't arrived. Grrrrr.

9. scottgrimaldi

scottgrimaldi New Member

I had one of those, a guy who was a slow payer. It took almost 2 weeks. I found I wasn't the only clown who had some difficulty with that person.

10. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Sorry WS, I always heard that someone forgot to tell this guy named Feld something or other that clowns should be paid like other entertainers. Oh Brother, I know the name has a familiar Ring to it.

Well, you know are rumors are...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Pickles

I called Monday. The owner wasn't in, but the woman who answered the phone said she would get the check in the mail right away. By Friday, the check still hadn't arrived, so I called again. This time the owner WAS in. She said she'd mail the check right away. Wow, why is this so difficult for them?!!!! I WANT MONEY!!!!!

12. Pickles

At least I got an original poem out of the gig. Thanks, Whooshplat.

When I called on Friday, the owner giggled nervously and said she was going to write the check PRONTO. So I will wait until today's mail arrives before I head back to the daycare facility brandishing my squirting pickle and marshmallow gun.

13. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Tell them you need to charge an extra $25/day late fee... that will get them moving faster.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. why does it seem Clown's get the short end of the stick in the entertainment payments. They wouldn't make a singer or what ever else wait this long. They forget this is our business. Yeah we do it for fun as well but it still cost money.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Pickles

Update: I called again on Tuesday. I told the person who answers the phone that I was going to be in the area last night and, if it were easier for them, I would be happy to stop by and pick up my check in person. She directed me to the person who supposedly pays the bills. He said that he had payed me via BillPay last Wednesday and I should get my check yesterday or today. I didn't. He said if I didn't get it by Friday to call him back.

Why is this so difficult?! If I weren't getting jerked around it would be almost comical.

16. I think its safe to say if they ever want you to come back they need to pay up front or no pickles

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. boho64

boho64 New Member

Wow thats tough I have never had that happen but I did have a check bounce once and by the time the court ordered her to pay she skipped the state and I was left without recourse. I would definitely go by and see them. Good Luck.

18. Jodie

Jodie New Member

Tell them NO CLOWING AROUND you want your money NOW !

19. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Who wouldn't want to "stiff" Pickles?

• Groan Groan x 1
  20. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

You have inspired me to add (as of today) a "late fee" clause to my standard contract.

• Thanks Thanks x 1