1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Post an Image to the Board: A tutorial

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by The Princess of Bozonia, Jan 15, 2006.

1. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Posting an image is really easy once you learn how; it may look tricky, but you'll probably only need to follow this tutorial once or twice before you're a pro at it.

First, you might want to resize your image so that it's easy for other people to download and view. For Clown Forum, I suggest making sure your image is no larger than 600 pixels wide. If you need to edit or resize your image but don't have the software to do this on your computer, head over to PXN8. You can crop, rotate, resize, zoom in, adjust the colors, get rid of red eye, and even whiten teeth, all online and free. From personal experience I recommend you always save your edited or resized photo as a new file instead of saving over the original! You never know when you'll want to return to the original and edit it again.

Once you have your image ready, you must upload it to a web server connected to the Internet. This is not the same as being on your local computer. You may already have some web server space that came with your Internet account. (Check with your Internet Service Provider to learn how to access it if so.)

If not, not a problem: there are many free services now that will allow you to upload your pictures to a web server. Here are just a couple; feel free to suggest your favorite.

Flickr
    Photobucket

When you put a picture on a web server, it will have a "URL". This stands for Uniform Resource Locator" and is basically the web address. It should look something like this: http://www.myphotoswebsite.com/mydirectory/mypicture.jpg. Most of the time you can just right-click on the image you've uploaded and choose "Properties" from the menu, then highlight the URL and Copy it by hitting Control-C. Some photo hosting services will have a different procedure for getting the URL or may not allow linking to pictures hosted with their service at all; check their help pages for more information.

Once you have the URL of the picture you want to post, come back to Clown Forum and begin composing your post. To add your image, simply click on the "image" button.

[​IMG]

A little prompt will pop up asking for your image's URL. Paste or type it in, and click ok. The code for adding your picture will appear inside the text box. You can finish typing your text and click "preview" to see if everything came out right.

OR, once you're a hotshot at posting pictures, you can skip the prompt and just type [*IMG]http://www.yourpicture'surl[*/IMG] (leaving out the *) and it will display the picture at the URL you point it to.

(As a favor to me and other webmasters out there, please do not copy an image URL directly from another site unless they specifically tell you it's ok to do so. Linking directly to a picture can sometimes cost the webmaster extra money if a lot of people view it, and can even cause legal problems if the image is copyrighted.)

Now if you want to add smileys to your post, it's even easier. If you're using the full editor (the page you get when you click the New Thread or Post Reply buttons) you should see several on your right. If you're using the Quick Reply feature at the bottom of the thread you're replying to, click on the smiley icon and choose the one you want from the dropdown list:
    [​IMG]

That's it! Click "Submit" and you're done. Readers will see your photo when they read your message.

You can also upload a picture directly to Clown Forum to be shown as a thumbnail below the rest of your post. People can click on the thumbnail to view the full-sized version. To use this feature, make sure you're using the full post editor (as opposed to the Quick Reply box at the bottom of each thread) by either clicking on the "Post Reply" button or the "Go Advanced" button below the Quick Reply box. Type your post as usual, but before you click Submit, scroll down the page some more to find the Advanced Options. In the "Attach Files" section, click on "Manage Attachments". A window will open that will let you upload pictures and other types of files. Close the window when you're finished, then submit the post.

Go ahead and post a test on this thread; I'll delete it to save room once you've got the hang of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
  2. Jubilee

Jubilee New Member

I have a profile picture, but it doesn't show up when I post a message. Does that mean it's not the same thing as what you're talking about?

3. The Princess of Bozonia

Hi Jubilee, sorry I missed your post until now! Yes, as you suspected your profile picture is different from your avatar picture. The avatar is the one that gets shown with your posts and the profile picture is typically a larger picture that gets shown with your profile. You can add an avatar by going to your control panel and then click on "Edit avatar" on the left. Hope that helps!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

I can't find the icon for image or smiley's on mine.

5. The Princess of Bozonia

Sue , could you send me a screenshot of what you're seeing? You can use most paint programs to take a screenshot, or just hit Alt and your Print Screen key and paste into Microsoft Paint, then save and email to me.

6. Jubilee

Jubilee New Member

Thanks! That worked.
    Jubilee

7. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

I couldn't get it to copy/paste on to my microsoft paint, but it would let me email this page so I emailed it to you princess

8. TJ

TJ New Member

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Nettie Belle

Nettie Belle New Member

Very nice, TJ ... thanks for sharing pictures. I love to look at other's pictures.

10. Jeff the Magic Man

Jeff the Magic Man Active Member

Thanks

T-h-a-n-k-s!!!

11. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

[​IMG]

Testing testing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  12. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

So how can I get the actual photo to come up instead of the link to the photo?

13. ira

ira New Member

ira3

I too have a really funny photo to post it here
    I will be doing it soon
    Stay tuned

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  14. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

I wish to know how one would go about posting a Youtube movie clip. What secrets most I learn to perform such a stunt?

15. The Princess of Bozonia

Sorry Mr. Daft, I somehow overlooked your question. :oops: Take a look at this page on BB code near the bottom.

16. NormaL T. Joey

NormaL T. Joey New Member

how do you post a video? not just any one can post video's...?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Just Sage

Just Sage Member

So I figured the image posting part out, and thank you for your tips, but how does one post a video in a comment?

18. Just Sage

Just Sage Member

We share the same questionable clown car NormaL! :???:

19. SmartiiTheClown

SmartiiTheClown Well-Known Member

Sage, below the comment box next to the post quick reply is a button marked go advanced. If you click on that it will take you to another comments box with more buttons above (font size colour smiles etc) one of those buttons i a mini YouTube logo, click that and it will put YouTube in square brackets followed by /YouTube in square brackets the link to the video goes between the 2 sets of brackets.

Smartii

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  20. Just Sage

Just Sage Member

Thank you kind sir, your wisdom matches your name! :cool: