1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to end a Party.

Discussion in 'Party Clowning' started by Harry the Ridiculous, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Harry the Ridiculous

Harry the Ridiculous Professor of the Ridiculous

I did a B'day party Saturday and I used my usual Gig ender. An hour and a half later -(thirty minutes past the hour show) I announced it was picture time and I posed with children for individual pictures.

On my way home I thought of a better party methodology. It's hard to end a party when three quarters of the children haven't gotten Balloon Animals. So I decided to change the
    Party Agenda. After my intro and while doing my monologue of Kiddie humor I will be sculpting Balloon Animals. When the Ballon work is done I'll go into the Magic Tricks. A Magic trick usually is only a few minutes so can be ended quickly. Meanwhile I will have a simple windup kitchen timer in my case. When the hour (or other determined time) is up and the timer alarm goes off I make believe it's a phone ringing and pull out a comical phone. I answer the call and pretend it's from the Circus Ring master requesting I return to the Circus. My Comical phone is a small empty cat food can attached to a larger tin can by string and an expandable antenna. Sometimes I pretend not to be able to hear the voice well and pull out a laqrger can announcing that it is my "Speaker Phone".

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Why do you have more kids to do balloons for than is possible in the time booked?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Harry the Ridiculous

My mistake

The fact that I ran late was my partly my fault as I wanted to impress the Parents as well so I was making time consuming two and three Balloon Animals and I added posing with the chidren for individual Pictures.

But never the less it was a lesson learned, it really wasn't that bad as it was my only booking of the day. Gigs in SW Florida are hard to come by because of the economy and not many people can afford my rates.
    Thanks for the reply
    Harry the Ridiculous
    AKA
    uncle willie silly

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Plywood

Plywood New Member

Would you run into the problem of having to fix balloons before you leave? I've had that happen, and it can be a real headache. Just one more!!!

5. Harry the Ridiculous

That's a tricky problem, if you don't do the repair job or make a new Balloon Sculpture your reputation as a nice entertainer can be tarnished. Yet, on the other hand if you continually do it at every party you run into a scheduling conflict. Soooooo if you have the spare time available do a few extras (Not many) then excuse yourself in a polite way.

6. Little Chuckles

Little Chuckles New Member

Golly! I think that's great. I typically start with balloon animals or objects. (twisting) Then, I go into a comedy routine and then face painting, followed by a couple of party games. (duck, duck GOOSE or Simon Says) Then I end it with Magic tricks. I find that magic tricks keep the kids happy and it's a fine closer. I usually high five all the kids and say goodbye. (a special goodbye with an extra balloon with the birthday child) and then I find it's a pretty easy goodbye. I like your method though! Great job, my friend. Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Ha, Ha, it is funny to see how people end. I like to end with balloons cause that is the show stopper the bigger balloon constructions. I then do individual balloons for the party guests and plan that into my hour, trying to leave 30 min. extra between gigs at least in case I have to go over. If it is running late and I can't stay to finish up enough balloons for everyone you can always pull out the old flying mouse balloon. If you make him with a 350 he is just as fast to twist and more impressive. If a child comes back wanting a second balloon and they already popped their first balloon I have never had a parent get angry if I only give them a 350 flying mouse.
    Sara K.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I get a lot of parents who call me and ask if I am available to come to their party for an hour. I always ask them questions about the number of kids expected and their age range. Then with that information in mind, I will tell them how long I suggest having me at the party. I would rather turn down a party if the parent is expecting 40 kids and I only have an hour to make the balloons. Give me 90 minutes and I might agree to do the party. I will base the balloons I offer on the amount of time and number of kids at the party. I can calculate how many minutes I have per child and if I have a lot of time, I will tell the kids I can make aliens, Spider-Man, princesses, etc. If I have less time, I might say I can make dogs, swords, and flowers.

I don't currently offer a magic show, but if I did, I would want to do the magic before giving out balloons. The kids will want to play with their balloons and will distract others who want to watch the show.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  9. Little Chuckles

Little Chuckles New Member

Whoa!

I usually do much better. It's usually the $60-$80 range. But I've met Clowns here in AZ that work for food at Buffets! NOT LYING! So, actually, even a $20 Thursday is good here! The economy sucks!