1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you advertise?

Discussion in 'The Business of Clowning' started by Cinnamon the Clown, May 21, 2011.

1. amifunny

amifunny Member

Also check out vistaprint for cheap but good looking biz cards and other printed materials.

2. Pinkie Bee

Pinkie Bee New Member

thank you thank you for the Gigsalad tip. got a gig off it and hope for more!

the lead was heistant and I told them to please look at my facebook
    p&g clown entertainment
    called back immediately and booked.

3. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

If anyone else buys a membership on gig salad if you tell them that you were referred by someone already on there you get some time free i think. May want to check that out first before you purchase time there.
    Sara K.

4. I cant figure out the facebook business part how much is it that they charge for a Business to advertise, can you explain it to me Im new as a clown, thanks Lily

5. I get my cards from Vista print and they are good and reasonable, I just order 500 for 23.00 dollars full color and Glossy.

6. Plywood

Plywood New Member

You can create a fan page for yourself, which is free. It's basically a page that people can "like". You can post pics, status updates, information about your business.

7. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

I order my business cards from Gotprint.com I get 5000 for $40 Full Color both Sides and Full Gloss on 14 point stock. As far as face book make a fan page. DO NOT pay them to advertise. Take that money and make your own website. As long as you keep the content fresh on your website it will work for you. If you dont keep it fresh you might as well set fire to your money. I work on my site every 3 days and I belong to Gigmaster that is $20 a month and I belong to gig salad that is free Event Exectutive that I pay $2 a lead and several others. I would NOT advertise on Craigslist. You could find some kind of nut on there. I do alot of festivals I work for tips and I work long hours but I give out alot of business cards doing it. When you show what you do and you amaze people that is the best kind of advertisement. Some festivals are $20 for a booth others are $300 But I get a good return on that! The $300 is my hometown. I have got several Corporate clients that use me to the point they supply me with their shirts. You just have to get out there and be seen.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Thanks for the info. but I have to disagree with you on Craigslist I have done lots of gigs from Craigslist and I havent had a problem I even got big gigs so think about and advertise with them, I always ask them for a non-refundable deposit of $ 25 or $50 dollars so that tells me they are serious. I have never had a problem. and believe me I get alot of calls.

9. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

Just be very careful. I tried the craigslist thing. I am telling you that you will run into nuts! I had a person hire me when I first advertised 4 years ago. A very nice lady called me and told me that she was doing her childs party and wanted me. So I agreed she gave me the address and I showed up to a house in the bad end of town even called her and told her I was on my way. I got there and knocked on the door and a man hollered come on in. I opened the door and walked in. There was a man sitting in a chair "NAKED" telling me make balloons I told him I am sorry I have the wrong house when this lady walked in the room laughing said no your just a dumb clown. If people want to hurt you they will pay a retainer fee. Before I book a gig I get on mapquest while I am talking to them and see where they are I may even switch over to a birds eye view to see the house. I know it can happen from anything but I have heard ALOT of horror stories in my area about craigslist.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  10. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

P.S. Use some kind of contract or agreement that they have to sign incase you dont get paid you have paper that says they agreed to pay you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Cinnamon the Clown

Cinnamon the Clown Active Member

Wow. That sounds like something out of a bad movie!! If that happened, as you said it did, I'm glad you got out of there unharmed!!

12. StiltFun

StiltFun New Member

13. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

I am looking for it and can not find it. I wonder if it closed? I dont know I had a free listing on it. and I use to get leads from it. I'll keep looking.

14. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Bonker's
    If you were paying like $2 for leads that sounds like Eventective.
    http://www.eventective.com/.
    Eventective seems to be more wedding planning oriented.

I have tried them I got one maybe from a prom committee sponser at a school. I have purchased about half a dozen leads and nothing has ever panned out from them. They don't get much traffic in my area. I would swear by Gig Salad though. A free listing or paid. I like how I get to show video and more pictures with a paid account and can get larger events from further away. Plus they manage a place where you can get honest accurate referrals from past clients.
    Sara K.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  15. BalooBaphoon

BalooBaphoon Active Member

FaceBook has been great for us, as well as everything else that has been mentioned all great ideas. I would like to add that once you get a card you like, find a local print shop and ask about Gang Runs... once a month they run large lots and its much cheaper (considering replaceing all your ink, ALOT!!) same with the flyers professional printing also looks better than home printed, and will land you more work.

David Ginn has some material on how to book yourself busy, as well as many others. Mooseburger is also offering Clown~Coaching would also help and is really rather affordable.

I have a degree in Sales and Marketing... If I can help you at all give me a shout. Bump~A~Nose
    Baloo :O)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Little Chuckles

Little Chuckles New Member

Even though I have had fairly steady work at B-Day parties, I find word of mouth is great. I still go work the buffets even when I don't need the money. I pass out a biz card to every family I meet! My business has really picked up from that alone. I gave out nearly 70 cards in this month!

17. Little Chuckles

That's just awful. Be very careful. I always give my wife the address of where I am going to be working. Just in case....

18. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

I call my wife when I get to where I am going and I keep my phone in a security pocket on the inside of my pants it has a built in GPS tracker. Just incase But I am a big boy and can handle myself. I am not afraid to return any agression given to me.

19. Little Chuckles

I hear ya there, Bonkers! I leave the address just as a precaution. You can't be too careful these days. Especially us family types. I have a safety pocket as well. I keep my phone with my GPS there as well. I also keep a can of pepper spray. A buddy clown of mine got attacked after a buffet gig and jumped. He got robbed of his tips for the night. He got beat up a tad and had nearly $100 stolen. You gotta be prepared these days. I'm a small stature. Hence, Little Chuckles. I go about 5'9'' and 145lbs. So, a little protection up the sleeve is never a bad idea for certain types of gigs in certain parts of town!

20. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

Bonkers is 5'10 and pushing 300lbs. Former reserve deputy. He can handle himself.