1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you advertise?

Discussion in 'The Business of Clowning' started by Cinnamon the Clown, May 21, 2011.

1. Cinnamon the Clown

Cinnamon the Clown Active Member

Hey guys,

I know this has been brought up before, but I thought it might be nice to have a thread on it in the "Business" section.
    I have taken a while off and now I am ready to get back out there.
    I have been going over ways to market myself and would like your feedback. I do not have a lot of cash at the mo, so I can't do any thing super big.
    I have come up with :
    1.) Website (currently working on)
    2.)Cards (a no brainer, right?)
    3.)Flyers
    4.) Word of mouth
    5.) Car advert

I was also thinking of the news paper or a "parent's Magazine" have any of you tried this?

I really appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks!

Cinn~:)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Website and business cards are good starting points, but in my books, nothing beats actually getting out and being seen. When they see you, give them your business card or link to your website. I go to two restaurants on a regular basis and can't tell you how many people tell me they are calling because they saw me there.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  3. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

Make a flyer with photos of you on it and basic info. Then take colored card stock and make a little pocket on it to hold your business cards. Stop by all the places in town that have public bulletin boards -- the library, restaurants, coffee houses, etc. -- and post your flyer. Don't forget to periodically refill the business card holder.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  4. Viv

Viv New Member

Advertisiing

I advertise by the usual business cards. I put them on community bulletin board. I also advertise by making appearances in all of the local parades. I have a sign that attaches to my clown car with my phone number. Your local Craigslist page is a great free place to advertise. I just got a major booking from my ad on Craigslist. As far as for webpage, I have a Facebook page for my business.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  5. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Try gig salad http://www.gigsalad.com/ and thumbtack http://www.thumbtack.com/
    I have got tons of business from Gig salad. They are both free but you can upgrade to a paid membership if you want to. There is another called eventective http://www.eventective.com/
    I haven't had alot of good luck with them you have to purchase leads there. Gig salad sends em to you free.
    Sara K.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  6. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

along with those listed, I get a lot of calls from my listing in the phone book, I'm in a small town, so I'm the only listed. I'm listed twice once under entertainment and also under party planner. Here they were the only appro. headings. Getting in the paper helps as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. StuartPid

StuartPid Administrator/Pickles' Lady in Waiting

I am not really seeing gig salad pop up in the search engines... how are people finding it?

8. Special K'z

I don't know Sean but I have gotten inquires from as far away as Des Moines from there. I think people are putting in clown and Iowa in the search engine and that is how it is popping up maybe?
    Sara K.

9. Cinnamon the Clown

Guys,

Thanks for the great replies. I just got back from picking up some ink for my (old) printer and , YIKES!! The cost of ink! But now I can get creative. :) Like the idea very much of having a "pocket" for the cards.
    As soon as I finish typing here I am going to go look up gigsalad. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks SK'z!

Thanks to all for their ideas.

Cinn~

10. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

I use cards, Website, word of mouth.

Also I use Gigmaster.com (SUCKS) most gigs I get offered are 2 hours away for some reason they don't offer me local leads but I am one of 3 entertainers in the area on it.
    Gigsalad.com LOVE!!!!
    Decido.com cost $1 a lead but I get the job every time.
    and several others I cant remember but they email me when I get leads.
    I also do Charity events at a severe reduced rate when I can and I use them to SHOW off what I can do which has lead me to several LARGE festivals where the money is!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

You're not printing your own business cards are you?? I would suggest not doing that. Home made business cards make you look like you're too cheap to get good ones, when to be honest you're probably spending as much or more on ink and cardstock than you would getting real ones printed.. Check out http://www.gotprint.com you will see how cheap they are and they are some of the most professional looking cards you can find for the price.. When you see a nice heavy glossy full color offset card next to a low res inkjet printed card that is on flimsy card stock with perferated edges, which one would you pick? especially if your printer is old like you say, it's going to be really low res..

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  12. StuartPid

I recommend got print I use them and really like their work. I am actually about to order some more cards from them if I ever get haround to it.

13. StuartPid

Well I have been on gig salad for 2 days and just got my first lead.. not sure how people are finding this site but they are.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  14. Cinnamon the Clown

Hi Knute,

Thanks for the link to gotprint. I will def be looking into them.

I actually got the ink for flyers, and I need to print up some theater resumes. Just playing around basically. I hear you about the homemade cards, they are cruddy.
    Thanks!

Cinn~

PS Glad to hear your getting leads already Stu. Let us know how it goes.

15. Dancin' Dot

Dancin' Dot Active Member

This thread is great and very helpful!! I just listed on gigsalad but have to post a pic of myself soon. I had some great pics taken a couple of weeks ago and getting a new flyer together too. I just got my third paying job today. It's exciting.:D Thanks DD

16. Special K'z

The one thing about Decido is they only go within a 50 mile radius of your business address. You can add other business locations for $20. If you live in a big city that is fine but I have no other business location and there are very few gigs within 50 miles of my house. Doesn't help me much.
    Sara K.

17. Bootheclown

Bootheclown New Member

Gig Salad and PartyPop

I used to pay to advertise on Partypop and found it wasn't worth it. I also have a free listing on Gigsalad and have had many calls, but no bookings. :)

18. Bonkers #361

Bonkers #361 New Member

I clicked your link Pamelagreen and if your buying cards from them you are paying for a fast turn around. I checked to get 1000 cards and it was $79 before shipping. I get mine from Gotprint.com and I get 1000 for like 40 bucks

19. Grandpa Weatherbie

Grandpa Weatherbie Well-Known Member

20. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Dollar earner.