1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get out there???

Discussion in 'Newbies to clowning' started by Toria the clown, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Toria the clown

Toria the clown New Member

I have been a clown for over a year now, but it still seems like no one knows me! Unfortunately the few people who I have had come to me looking for a clown... Well I don't perform in there areas. I'm only 16 so the area in which I can perform is very limited, what are some ways that I can get my name out there locally?

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Find events hosted by your school, former schools, church, local library and contact the person organizing the event to introduce yourself.

3. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

Have you tried school clubs? A lot of times the clubs hold events on and off campus.

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Where is locally? Big city? Small town? What kind of clowning do you desire to do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

Thnk about this , do some local events for free. Do the event do it very well have lots of fun. If you are having lots of fun people will see it. They will remember you having fun and there start of building a net worth.
    Remember laughs and smiles

6. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Do some free gigs at the local fire department, or church, or school to get your name out there. Where ever I perform, I put up 8 x 11 self promotional posters "appearing today" with name, photo and phone #. It sucks up a lot of printer ink, but it's worth the promotion. Also get a bunch of business cards and distribute freely. Barter for services = I will perform free at your newspapers company picnic if you advertise me for free in your paper... that sort of thing. Join WCA or COAI (or both) and get performance insurance. Free gigs are a great way to hone your craft, and if something goes wrong, no harm, you learn from the experience. Then in 2 weeks, when you are a pro, you can cash in on the big money.
    WN

7. V

V Well-Known Member

You wont find a better teacher, or a better place to refine your act...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. katriniac

katriniac Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

V is absolutely right. There is no better way of developing skills, finding out what works and what doesn't, than getting out on the streets and showing off to a random public. I started off doing bits for friends in bars and once I'd exhausted my repertoire on them, went out looking for a new audience. A bit of bravado and a nonchalant attitude took me a long way in getting out. It was then a very quick learning curve and I found the whole experience thoroughly rewarding. My skills improved and my material grew. I got my very first booking for a gig, from people watching me on the streets. Soon I got bookings and job offers, every single time I went out. I was lucky in that I lived in central London at the time. People there, are primed and receptive to seeing odd things on the streets. Plus the shear volume of traffic passing me meant it was easy to earn and maintain my own interest.

You may not be so fortunate to live in a place like England but do not underestimate the streets as a place to play on.

• Agree Agree x 1