1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homemade greasepaint?

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by mattybock, Mar 26, 2010.

1. mattybock

mattybock Member

have you ever made your own grease-paint? was it very good? and would you give a recipe?

btw, i heat a bit of mineral or baby oil in a sauce pan. when it's hot i add food color and corn starch. it's a heavy paste if mixed right. i apply a super thin rubbing of petroleum jelly to the skin before i apply the paint. it helps it just wipe away, but with a powdering of talcum, it stays all day unless i take it off!

2. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

You should patent it.

3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I know that clowns used to make their own... Are you looking for a color you can't find or just want to try something different.

4. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Interesting! I"ve seen recipes for children's face paint with cornstarch but I can't remember all the ingrediends. I think they also used cocoa powder in place of the cornstarch for brown face pain. But then you probably just end up smelling like brownies.
    Sara K

5. mattybock

mattybock Member

just curious if i was the only clown who clowns around with his clown face with homemade clown goop or if only clowns clowed around with it too.
    also lookin' for recipes.

6. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I seem to recall something as a kid using crisco and corn startch...

7. Granny Glasses

Granny Glasses New Member

I tried a recipe like that once...turned all goopy....of course it could've been the roasted peppers and garlic I put in...oh, wait, that was pasta.

i think Zippy tried it once, you can ask her.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  8. Squire

Squire New Member

Just a word of warning to anyone who wants to try this mineral oil is a laxative so when you heat it up the vapors get into the air an when inhaled can cause loose stool... (AKA diarrhea)

• Laugh Laugh x 1
    • Groan Groan x 1
  9. Mulligan

Mulligan New Member

Just curious Mattybock, what does that do to your face? Are there any skin side effects, such as reddness, etc.? I know Jim Howle uses some oils that are supposed to be good for the skin in his formulas. However, it sounds like fun to experiment with in order to make different colors. And Randy, a good poop never hurt anyone!

10. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

first mineral oil would better than baby oil because makeup doesnt need perfume in it. jim howle uses either soybean or peanut oil. I wouldnt use cornstarch or food coloring.. if you powder with corn starch it melts your makeup and turns it yellow, imagine it does if its actually IN your makeup. Jim told me once he uses Powdered food safe pigments used to make paint or other colored things and he buys them by the kilo like cocaine. the oil and pigments are the only ingredients in his makeup therefore giving the richness of colour. if you start mixing talc or other powders into the makeup its going dull the makeup. so it IS possible to make your own makeup, but unless you plan to produce it in bulk its a wast of money because you have to buy so much stuff at once. have a good day.

11. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

In the old days, they made clown white with Zinc Oxide and lard and then powder it.

12. mattybock

mattybock Member

my skin's like shoe leather, so it doesn't bother me at all. but for the sake of safety, and being cost effective (cause alot of folks don't have mineral oil on hand) try baby oil or cooking oil. stear clear of the olive oil, as it lends a yellowish-green tint to whatever color you're making. thanks to looney van-dukes (hope i spelled that right) he informed me as to the origins of grease paint. it was actual hog lard with pigments. smearing pig butt on my face didn't seem so good, so i came across an online recipe for "halloween face paint". it was thick as shoe polish, so i did some experimenting with heat and amounts, and here i am, blue in the face.

13. Amy Cowperthwait

Amy Cowperthwait New Member

Mattybock could you please give me the recipie for the greese paint that was like shoe leather? I am a nursing educator and we use greese paint all the time to make fake injuries for the disasters. I am experimenting with making my own. Currently I have the right consistency from the products we purchase (Ben Nye) but, the color does not leave the pallet and adhere to the skin well.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!