1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from the center ring!

Discussion in 'Circus and Stage Clowning' started by Christopher Clown, Mar 28, 2011.

1. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Early November through Thanksgiving weekend is always the Chicago dates. They often visit one additional city on the way back to Florida for the Winter break in December.

The other unit usually plays a big date in Michigan or elsewhere (they used to close out in St. Louis, but that seems to have changed) before ending the two year run by about the 2nd week of November; then returning to Winter Quarters to build a new show.

There are always changes from year to year in the schedule. (For instance, this year they played Louisville - which is now possible because of the new basketball facility - and didn't play Madison Square Garden due to building renovations.) But generally, there are some typical patterns to their travel and the time of year when they regularly tour through cities. It isn't at all random and is actually quite well organized and largely predictable.

Plus (unlike a lot of the mud shows) they publicize their appearances well in advance. So, usually, you can know when they are headed your way months before they arrive and plan accordingly. If the particular show which you're interested in seeing isn't on the schedule for this year, see if that city is being visited by the other big show sometime this year, and you'll know approximately when you might see the other unit next time around.

The Red and Blue Units generally play larger cities and the Gold will, less frequently, visit some of the smaller places. That isn't entirely clear, at time. For instance, it is obvious that the major units would appear in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Or that it wouldn't play, say, Sound Bend. But Peoria? Yep, they're on the tour, too. And places like Milwaukee and Minneapolis/St. Paul are not. So, go figure!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Zippy Zoo

Zippy Zoo New Member

Awww! Hershey's way too far away! Can't you talk them into taking it closer? Oh, and tell them not to mind the lump in the canvas when they leave. There's no clown in there!

3. tim

How close? They typically also play Wilkes-Barre and (as of last year, once again) Pittsburgh!

4. Zippy Zoo

Zippy Zoo New Member

What? No comments about me trying to stow away in the canvas? I think Wilkes Barre is still too far and I'm sure Pittsburgh is at least a few miles. Ask them to take it to the Grove City Factory Shoppes(AKA Grove City Outlet Mall) and I know I can be there! Seems like everybody knows where the outlet mall is, lol.
    Of course I'm kidding. I would never in a million years expect the circus to change its course for me.:D

Last edited: May 6, 2011
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  5. tim

I think the last time they played Pittsburgh (in the 50s) they still WERE under canvas!

Maybe a mud show will come your way. They tend to play the smaller towns and their malls or school grounds.

6. Christopher Clown

Christopher Clown What the Seuss??!

Wow this thread has been Hoppin' since my last post..

Duckie... you quack me up!

As far as performance locations, dates, and times... I agree with Tim... Check www.ringling.com and visit the tour map... My list of cities on our tour schedule was copy pasted from there. And my memory is terrible so I have to check it frequently to see where we are going over the next month.

We don't get our schedule for the next week until almost the last performance of a Sunday show as we are loading out... so unfortunately I don't know the times that far in advance but the website should help! give you details you need for the specific venues.

We just left Hartford, Connecticut and I am on the mile long train headed to Trenton, New Jersey... after this week we get a week off ... I'm making a little trip to New York to spend time with DJ and the Big Apple crew. Then off to Hershey, PA for the next week of performances.

7. StuartPid

StuartPid Administrator/Pickles' Lady in Waiting

Hershey is fun do they still et you guys into the park for free? If they do ride the bear claw or bear paw or what ever it is called.

8. Christopher Clown

I don't know for sure... probably wont have much park time as I'll be spending the majority of my break in NY. I won't be back in until Tuesday night and I go straight into a full dress rehearsal before a performance on Wednesday. I have heard talk about going othe park for an old timey portrait of us in clown makeup...on a split show day... but thats about it.

9. Bumbles

Bumbles New Member

Is your show going to be in Buffalo?

10. tim

Are you telling him to shuffle off?

11. azzy

azzy Yes, We Have No Bananas

Just wanted to say that I attended SeƱor Dazzle]'s show (a.k.a. Mr. Christopher Clown) tonight and it was wonderful. I didn't get to meet up with the STAR OF THE CIRCUS due to various things conflicting this weekend.

That said tomorrow I'm planning to head back and at least say hello during pre-show. I will make sure to wear my pink ponytail wig that I paid $12 for, and I would also like to offer some of the stray felines in the neighborhood to the tiger trainer as I believe they may be more well behaved than the cats tonight.

Oh, and pictures. I'll have to do that, but I'm sure you can imagine what our superstar looks like under the spotlight...

*Photo removed at the request of our superstar* :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  12. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

hahahahahhahahahahahahhaha

13. Christopher Clown

Well well well ... five more weeks to the end of our season this year. I seem to have been bad at keeping updated with this thread... but we've been all over California for three months, Denver, Salt Lake City, St Louis, Cleveland, Toledo... and now we are in Illinois... -- Rosemont for two weeks then Chicago for the other two! Over all its been an amazing experience and I love getting to meet my forum contacts along the way! On the other hand I'm looking forward to going home for Christmas this year and seeing my family for a month... before continuing on with my second year of the tour.

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  14. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

It was totally awesome to finally meet you. That was my best circus experience ever! Chris, you are doing a good job and keep up the good work. I have grown leaps and bounds clowning with having the circus in town last week. I am so thankful for everthing I learned and got to apply right away (literally right away)....Thanks for everything. Have a good Christmas!

15. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

Here's a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  16. Christopher Clown

Thanks for Sharing Jill... We spent Thanksgiving opening the McDonalds Thanksgiving Day Parade in Chicago.... also there was a wonderful attendance of Forum Clowns for this past weeks shows. Tim, Fitzwilly, Scruffy, Scoop, Daffodilly, Duckie, and Sara Dippity. -- Wonderful to see you all and meet those of you who I hadnt had a chance to officially meet... Thanks for Attending

17. Bumbles

Bumbles New Member

Chris,
    Sounds like you are doing a great job, is there any chance that your show will be comming to Buffalo,NY next year?:applause:

18. Skooter_Silly_Willy

Skooter_Silly_Willy New Member

Are you coming through Indy? hope you get this soon.

19. JOZO

JOZO New Member

i missed you by 2 weeks before you got on tour, so hopefully see you on 144 edition.

20. Skooter_Silly_Willy

Skooter_Silly_Willy New Member

Darn... There is a performance comin through indy dec. 2-5ish...