1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hat skit

Discussion in 'Skit and Improv' started by Bibbles, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Bibbles

Bibbles New Member

Howdy! I read about a skit where an entertainer used different hats on kids until he found the right one...the birthday hat...I'd like to use it for my birthday show, but haven't developed my funny bone yet! Can you help me with patter ideas? I see hats everywhere in dollar stores, etc. that I could gather. (I'd use non-fabric ones)...I also purchased a small cape. Thanks!

2. V

V Well-Known Member

I agree with Whooshsplat in that there is too much risk of passing germs/parasites/bacteria/etc by using shared skin-to-skin props.

Alternative props suggestions that would basically allow you to do this routine:

Headless cartoon silks & Paper hat tears are going to be the easiest and still have audience participation. You could also do something similar to Harry Anderson's chapeaugraphy skit where you wear the hat(s) while telling a story or such.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bibbles

Bibbles New Member

Thanks all! Great advice. I love going to aprons/vests...so much easier to transport also! So any patter you'd suggest for it and/or the paper hat tears? And where would I find that chapeaugraphy skit?

I appreciate it! Thanks for the warm welcome! Feeling fuzzy all over!
    Bibbles

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Patter ultimately has to be your own, for it to come across as genuine. If I try to do your patter, for instance, it will likely fall flat as we're different people with different personalities.

That said, certainly there are tried and true classics, often from vaudeville. Watch some old acts in the movies and listen to a little old time radio to get a sense of it.

Also, improvisation without limitation is difficult. If you can narrow it down a bit to, say, a scenario or specific costumes/props some of us may be better able to add extra insights.

5. V

V Well-Known Member

Here is Harry's magic hat skit.

Like Tim said, your patter needs to be your own. It's hard to use scripted patter. I can't imagine anyone but Harry Anderson doing this exact skit, but for inspiration...

6. Bibbles

Bibbles New Member

Thanks for the magic hat video! I enjoyed watching it on YouTube!

7. dova75

dova75 New Member

Harry I remeber watching him on Night Court. He has always made me laugh.

8. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

There's a trick commercially available which some kids magicians employ that is essentially a paper fold. As it folds different ways, it turns into different displays of hats and characters with which you can tell a funny story.

Unfortunately, I forget what it is called. But some of the others here ought to know.