1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite School Show Warm-ups

Discussion in 'Circus and Stage Clowning' started by Pickles, May 5, 2011.

1. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

What is your favorite way to get a gymnasium full of grade-school kids clapping and laughing and all warmed up for a magic show?

2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Clap game.

This side: CLAP!

That side: CLAP CLAP!

This side: CLAP CLAP CLAP!

You get the idea. Once they catch on and try to outdo the other side, you can mess with them by using unexpected patterns. Eventually, you can move it to all kinds of wild disorganized clapping that erupts into applause. Then indicate that you want them to tone it down to silence and stop. Perhaps play with dynamics of clapping. Light, silent clapping versus big loud claps. Then get them all going strong again and blow it off to truly start the show by surprising them with a trick that gets their attention.

...And you're off and running!

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

I'm going to come out with huge foam binoculars acting like I'm looking for volunteer to help with show then after calling them up do the How D routine. I think it was Sue that told about the "D How" signs in another thread. I use those with two volunteers usually a child and dad if I can get one (he plays into a later joke during the magic part). Tell the crowd to yell as loud as they can what is on the sign when they open it up (I used hinged foam core boards). Then act confused like why didn't that work. Switch the signs around and make the helpers move and it still isn't right. Then tell the crowd maybe they need to say it faster and get them going multiple times on the "D How" faster and faster till you get them saying Howdy. Then break into a loud Howdy and say momma always told me when you meet someone to say howdy and shake their hand. Can I shake your hand? (funny hand shake) Oh great now that we got the introductions done . . . then go into magic routine.
    Sara K.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  4. SmartiiTheClown

SmartiiTheClown Well-Known Member

I just done a school show today, my first for ages. I had one of the teachers hold the door open, entered on my unicycle then done stumble dismount like I'd messed up so my hat went flying off. Into a little hat kick routine with some hat springs and rolls, then a little bit of business with my coat and straight into the show.

Smartii

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  5. Professor QB

Professor QB New Member

I like to start off with the standard:

1) Get them clapping and cheering
    2) Explain that I'm going to pick volunteers sitting up straight and tall not talking to their neighbors
    3) I have had the name of the school (or organization) written on my Axtel Magic Drawing Board the whole time. I go over to it. Erase it and go right in to my Magic Drawing Board routine.

6. BubblesB

BubblesB Active Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. BubblesB

BubblesB Active Member

A take off on HOW D is CHOO HA :cool:
    Divide audience in half

this side : CHOO
    other side: HA
    this side: CHOO
    other side: HA....
    then repeat faster and faster until Choo Ha becomes HA CHOOOOOO

Leader Says Stops everything and says God Bless You and then moves into the rules of the show:

Tell the audience
    1. If you see something you like, clap and cheer and make a lot of noise..
    2. If you see something you don't like- clap and cheer and make a lot of noise.

Now the audience is with you and already having fun

• Thanks Thanks x 1