1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

evil clown street performance?

Discussion in 'Variety and Street Performance' started by Coathanger The Clown, Nov 6, 2011.

1. I live near boulder, CO
    and pearl street mall is full of street performers, ive beeen thinking of taking my evil clown to the streets.

As coat hanger the clown i make things out of coat hangers not ballons. wondering if i get really artistic people might enjoy and possibly purchase them?

either way no money made id probably just have alo of fun being a clown doing a street performance.

I am learning to play kazoo possibly another thing... what songs would you expect an evil clown to play on a kazoo? :)

Thanks for your input.. luv clowning... if i had it in me id be a happy clown.. but i just dont think its in me... my passion is for evil :D

2. StuartPid

StuartPid Administrator/Pickles' Lady in Waiting

I don't believe that haunt clowns have a place in public. In a haunted house or a private party I have a choice to go and be scared. Walking down the street I am an unwilling participant in your nightmare. I am however intrigued by what you are able to make from coat hangers could you post some pics?

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  3. You have a point, but on the opposite end, there are many people in public that I am subject to, that id rather not be subject to. Because one thing is a nightmare to you, doesnt mean its a nightmare to someone else. Just as one persons idea of fun and entertaining or whatever, might be annoying and a nightmare to me. Its a two way street.

I dont like when people in public are pushing a propoganda on me, trying to convince me of their way, etc... I see this all the time. I think my performance would just be entertainment. Also in public, I dont think id be going out of my way to chase people around and scare them. My street performance would probably be me doing skits and singing songs, and playing kazoo, making things out of coathangers, etc. Granted with a dark humor to it. I wouldnt be going up to people and scaring them. Think of it more as a dark humor skit, I was thinking it would be great to find a "happy clown" and do "good clown, bad clown" type skit!!

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I say go for it. I'd be interested in what kin of experience and reaction you get. I do agree with stu to an extent in that you need to be careful about your interactions, though. Don't just freak someone out for the hedonism of it or truly sadistic ends.

I'm also likewise intrigued by what you make with coat hangers.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. i am new to making coathanger stuff, but i just need to sit around making things and see what i come up with. Its a relativly new thing for me. Although I have been using a coathanger since I first became a clown, which is how I got my name. I like to put things on the end of coathangers (such as the eyeball... although its not really an eyeball, pvt me and Ill tell you what it is). I like to wave my object on a coathanger in peoples faces as they come through the haunt. I also play a kazoo to make it seem like the object is "buzzing" around flying in the air. Which is very effective in black light rooms, as the object glows, but the coat hanger doesnt. The object on the coathanger is my friend, and I sing songs about it, especially when people scream "What is that!?!?"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Cinnamon the Clown

Cinnamon the Clown Active Member

Twisting coat hangers into things could be really cool!

I agree with Stu and Tim though, I think you do have to be careful about scaring folks in public. I'd hate to see it turn "ugly" on you. I think the idea of having another clown with you is a good one.

Let us know how it turns out! :)

Cinn~

7. yeah so far... a "good clown, bad clown" act seems like my favorite! Seems like it provides balance. I dont even mind being "Defeated" since usually the good guy wins! Besides I get a whole month out of the year where Evil Clowns win :) so Id luv to do a skit with a Good Clown, and collaberate on it. Even if I was a "bad clown" in a safety clowns act (i have seen childrens safety clown acts before, eg bicycle safety or whatever) I could be the "bad clown" who breaks the rules and gets hurt or whatever..??? too much for children? I dunno just looking at my options!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. tim

Think of clown as an "invitation to play." The audience can take your hand and allow you to lead them. Or not. But it ought to remain an invitation rather than feeling like an assault - even if clowning inherently makes people feel a little off kilter, on edge, and ill at ease. But, then, that is what the release of laughter is for. It both allows release of tension as well as building up movement that allows you to keep them moving with you along the journey.

That sort of thing, I think, could work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. tim

This is what happens when you don't obey the traffic rules.. your face ends up looking like this!

10. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

I don't know how scary children think you are, but maybe think of times when you perform on street? Maybe when there are not many very little children around who could cry of scaredness?
    Anyway, I could guess you would perform for older children and adults.
    So maybe thinking of right times and places without really hurting (or traumatizing) anyone? I dunno...maybe something to think about.

11. Hey clowns thanks for the input, rather than just shooting it down. Id really like to move beyond "haunt clown" stuff, but at the same time, there is no doubt that my clown is just a little off from other clowns. I understand outside of a haunt, id 'tone it down' , i think i could entertain as a twisted clown of sorts. mostly for an older auidence. (teenage and adult). I do think "good clown, bad clown" could be really entertaining to a wide auidence, and has lots of possibilities!

12. KageTomari

KageTomari prolific poster....

Coathanger The Clown good luck

13. tim

There are a lot of interesting, "off" characters in the theatrical clowning world. You might want to look in that direction for some inspiration as to how it can be effectively accomplished. I don't see any reason why a darker type of character couldn't work. Just last week I saw an excellent juggler who was also telling Halloween oriented jokes and did a devil sticks routine with a bone shaped prop while dressed as the grim reaper. Clowns don't have to be cute. Even cirque-esque clowns are often oddly eccentric and awkward. Study this sort of thing for inspiration. Also look at the entire world of bouffon, as I'm thinking that those sort of characters and performance stylists might match your own concepts.

If I were doing social/political satire clowning, I could envision a coathanger abortionist character, but I don't think that is the sort of thing you are going for, ultimately, in everyday street clowning.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  14. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Anyone who knows history knows the significance of the coathanger. Instead, the idea of making things out of them puts me in mind of Harry Harlow's controversial rhesus monkey experiments in social isolation and abandonment. Perhaps a "wire mother" could be worked into a statement about the absence of love being the root of evil?

As for music to play on the kazoo, I'd find "Put on a Happy Face" extremely creepy coming from you. Also Tom Lehrer's "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park", though that one really needs the lyrics to be effective. Maybe the good clown could play its merry tune on the kazoo while you gross them, and everyone else out with the lyrics?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  15. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

re: coathangers my dtr. can use a plastic one and put her body through it. She starts with her head but can work it all the way down. Not evil or scary but a fun stunt for the crowd.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  16. tim

For a moment, there, I thought you wrote that your DOCTOR did this!

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  17. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

Don't know I'll have to ask him....

18. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am kind of enjoying this thread. There are, admittedly, days when I would like very much to be an evil clown. Maybe one day I will be an evil clown in the privacy of my own home. I'll post pictures. :D:D

• Groan Groan x 1
  19. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

So what's stinky about my comment, Daft? Don't you think I'd make a good evil clown?

20. Jodie

Jodie New Member

Pickles you are way to kind to be a evil clown. I just can't place you as being a evil clown.