1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dropped": a look at Anthony Gatto's life and career

Discussion in 'Juggling' started by The Princess of Bozonia, Feb 11, 2017.

1. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Ball drop was the original mic drop!

3. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

Thanks! Gatto and Viktor Kee are two of my greatest inspirations in juggling. Gatto for how effortless he makes everything look. Kee for the artistry.

That said... I do have to take the issue that the article was basically, "I couldn't get an interview with Gatto, so here's a bunch of YouTube videos I watched and what I thought of them."

Also, Gatto's attitude reminds me a little bit about the anecdote from Donnie Yen, kung-fu movie star. If I recall, he used to take potshots at Jet Li because he was a "dancer" (as in, he has dance training, not martial arts training). Eventually Donnie mellowed out on his position, because here's the reality: real kung-fu is not visually spectacular. That's not what the audience wants. They want the mix of artistry and grace that you see from a guy like Jet Li. So later in his career Yen started incorporating more artistry in his performance. I think Gatto himself came to that realization as well, and why he's so salty when modern juggling seems to be, "Who can toss up more juggling balls."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017 at 11:19 PM
    • Thanks Thanks x 1