1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do's and Don'ts when talking about religion?

Discussion in 'Church and Ministry Clowning' started by Ooz, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Ooz

Ooz New Member

I used to have a christian youtube channel where I would create videos in which I prayed out loud to God.

I want to bring back my praying youtube channel. But, I want to poke fun at myself through clown humor.

I am not very religious... and I do not want to be distasteful to those who believe in God...

Would I be stepping over boundaries in which I would be using satire in prayer?

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I don't understand why someone who isn't very religious would be planning to have videos about God. Sounds like a great way to create enemies.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. V

V Well-Known Member

More often than not, these exercises are only funny to the person doing them and/or a few of their very supportive friends who frankly, don't matter when trying to reach a larger audience. Not to say that it can't be done as there is some religious satire out there than has some humor to it...

Taking a stab at a guess here, especially when factoring in your other posts, that you're a haunt style clown (or an attempt at an alternative clown)? If so, I'll go further and guess that you're looking to do something a little risque and find religion a safe target. After all, it's the "in" thing to do - criticize religion or religious people, so it's probably not as risque as you're imagining to begin with and realistically, if you're here looking for answers to the very basic and beginner questions that you're small posting history has you asking, I don't know that I'd wager on your experience r confidence to pull something off that isn't elementary at best. This is, of course, speculation since we have no sampling of your actual performance art, but again - reflecting on the fewposts you have here...

That being said, I don't imagine you're really looking for a career as a variety act so the real answer is do whatever you want because it will reach a group of like-minded people that may tell you it's great or it will reach opposition from people who don't like it and they'll be critical but what does it really matter? If you're looking for a career in this industry, you probably wouldn't be fancying something along these lines anyway for the earlier mentioned reasons...

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Let me take it off the specific topic of religion, for a moment, and speak to the concept of satire, more generally. While there can be a certain subtlety of intelligent sort which clever nuance supports, the idea of not being "over the top" (in some sense) usually just makes things bland and poor quality. If you're going to go for it, I think it is often better to go for it and be hard hitting. Typically what sells a satire, in fact, is that it is SO ridiculous and caricatured (while expressing a certain truth) that it is laughable in its oversized directness. Which is, essentially, also the concept of clown. Now, that said, it has to offer quality and not simply go in for the expected stupid joke. There's nothing worthwhile or funny in the latter. Yet it's exactly what most attempts turn out to be. Don't do that.

If I might make a suggestion about satire. Look for ironies of paradox. Play with them. Find the funny.

Then look to characterization of personality types. Enlarge them. (This is precisely what everything from Commedia Dell Arte to the Muppets have employed as their tact.)

There is a lot to work with in these areas.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  5. tim

I'll also say that some of the best satire comes from internal understanding of the situation. So, rather than simply standing outside of it and tossing stones, if one can get inside of the topic and show WHY something is silly, stupid, or totally messed up, turning the usual simple acceptance of such a situation on its head, this is often most effective and genuine.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  6. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

For satire to work it needs to be as close to the truth and reality of the situation being satired as possible.

For example, since religion is what you will be satiring, don't start with the premise that it is some ignorant person who is praying to the Great Flying Spaghetti God, and then portray a person who is ignorant and praying to the Great Flying Spaghetti God. Take something that someone recognizable has done, and enlarge on it.

As an example: Jimmy Swaggart. Start pious with "King James" style prayers with big words and big concepts. Then slowly start to pray about a situation you're in. Then reveal in your prayers how you have some responsibility in the cause of the problem. Then become overwhelmed with how bad the situation is and that it has caused you to sin. Start crying over the situation and the sin, then ask for forgiveness. Play up the crying with a gag to produce copious amounts of water.

Possibly a better example might be this:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. tim

That guy is good. And I can't believe it, but Led Zepplin style, "Shout to the Lord" actually works.

8. I'm so glad this topic is being discussed.