1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Anyone Make Their Own Magic Tricks?

Discussion in 'Magic' started by Punkin, May 12, 2010.

1. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

I agree. That book tells it all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. V

V Well-Known Member

I also do a routine with my tramp clown with DIY props. Sort of a ruined magician theme I guess where most of the props are made out of cardboard as was done in the 1930s-40s when much of the nations building supplies were being used to fuel the War.

Several stage style illusions that go over pretty well that include a magic dollhouse (the cardboard house plays bigger than the sturdier prop many times - the end result isn't expected from a prop made of paper), sawing a woman in half, levitation, productions, vanishes, and substitutions. The props are surprisingly durable to be made of cardboard and it's not unheard of to get a couple of years of use out of them before they need to be replaced (which only costs a few bucks). As with anything, some get better receptions than others (from amusement to awe) but they're cheap to make, pack very small (I can take all of them in the trunk of a car) and even though they've all been done before, the paper concept seems unique.

I'm actually thinking of expanding the routine to my non-clown magician show. I think it would go over well at halloween - set up the show around a dark alley or derelict setting with some character zombies or such maybe? I'll add some more modern carton illusions for this I think - maybe In Half,spirit cabinet, and headless illusion?

I've also thought about a themed show with the above mentioned carton illusions and offering some Henna tattoos and Tree readings - sort of an "earthy" magic show under a "Recycled Illusion" tag or such - offer some environmental education that my wife and I are both active in. Maybe a pipe dream as well, but I'd hope it would go over well in today's market. With some marketing towards a "green" theme, I'd hope that would offer an advantage but who knows. If I can ever get around to filming a promo tape and getting some photos and advertisements made I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. KA-YO

KA-YO New Member

You can always buy magic tricks at the Dollar Tree store. Usually 3-4 tricks in a box for $1. Yes they are cheap plastic, but the insructions are there & you learn how the trick is done. If you really like the trick you can either make it or purchase it from your magic dealer. ;o)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Magic Etc

Magic Etc New Member

I do build a lot of my own props. But for many, you have to be familiar with and have the availability of basic power tools like electric drills and jig saws. I agree with Mr. Woolery. Mark Wilson's book is one of the best. It has great, simple tricks that can be made very inexpensively as well as instructions and good illustrations on how to perform basic magic with cards,coins, and ropes.
    A great resource for make-it-yourself magic is Jim Gerrish's Magic Nook. You can find it at the following:
    The Magic Nook
    He publishes an incredible number of e-books of easy to make props from cardboard and materials for a dollar store. Many of them are new innovations of large scale or expensive store-bought props. His book series is a good illustration that if you want to make your own magic, look at the effect you wish to accomplish, look at how it is being done professionally and then see if you can achieve it less expensively yourself.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. homerdaclown

homerdaclown New Member

as i posted before i made my own pb&j trick wher ei bought two jar of pb and after the pb was gone i cut off the bottom of jar an dclean them out and had my wife take a sample of pb to lowes and they match the color and i painted the inside of the jars and then i took two 2liter drink bottles and cut them to fit over the pb jar and painted the inside black then i use 2 full jars of jelly and when you want to show the pb jar just pick up black sleeve and when you want to show jelly put alittle pressure on black sleeve and you pick it and the pb jar up at the same time. Another trick i made was the shackle chain escape making it for about $5.00 i purchased a metal rod and some pad locks i already had the chain then i made a jig to bend the rod and put the chains on the rod and had a friend to weld it shut and my sisterlaw made me a cloth bag and it works great i hope this helps someone in making their tricks and i like to know how to make the milk pitcher if someone could post the instrucions thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Bustyn

Bustyn New Member

Hee Hee...I've done this too.
    There was a escaping ring trick that was coupled with another trick.
    I turned that that ring trick into a huge 10min bit with volunteers, and from that our troupe turned it into a 15min skit called the "Vest of Danger"

Its kind of neat what your imagination can do :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Bustyn

Bustyn New Member

Oh and as for all of the plans that Vegitarian Guy is talking about...you can go here.

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/plans1.html

Which is Osborne Illusions - over 350 of the best stage show illusions. roughly $20-$30 for the plans, then just your time and effort for the rest.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Ronny Ronito

Ronny Ronito New Member

I go with the 'Start by buying a book' school of thought. Take rope for instance. Buy a rope trick and you get a piece of rope and a sheet of instructions and it may cost you quite a few dollars/pounds, and you end up with one trick. Buy a book of rope tricks for the same price, plus a hank of rope and you have 100 or more tricks, each one costing just pennies. I do make many of my tricks and probably get more enjoyment from the fact that I made it rather than bought it.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jeff the Magic Man

Jeff the Magic Man Active Member

Of course, I make my own mouth coils, tear hats, torn and restored bills.
    THOSE save alot of money!
    1 dollar per mouth coil when i can just pay not even .20 cents for the supplies?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Got any tips for making mouth coils? Mine are soo sloppy. I use a glue stick to glue the tissue strips together. It is difficult to get them cut the exact same width and rolling them evenly.
    Sara K.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Jeff the Magic Man

Jeff the Magic Man Active Member

not really. Just tightly wind them up. i use tape. i have this small tape thats about the width of your pinky nail. Its great i get it at the dollar store! Ive also find that the quality of the tissue paper you buy matters. tried pushing them thru the slits and they rip. just gotta be careful. :applause:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. ATLANTA CLOWN TOWN

ATLANTA CLOWN TOWN New Member

I do! I do! I make the tissue paper hat trick and give it to my joeys and friends.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. ATLANTA CLOWN TOWN

ATLANTA CLOWN TOWN New Member

Very informative re:making your own props

I just love this forum and will surely donate:
    This is an excellent post about making your own tricks and props.

14. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

I love this book to bits, but it will take me decades to do it justice. I wonder if I'll ever make a dent into it. It is a complex book that I read and peel back like the skin of an onion. I want to travel light and simple, so rope magic fits me. Abbott's book is the best investment I have made in magic.

15. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

I started with store bought but now make my own. Its more fun for me that way and keeps the audience unsuspecting...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  16. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I imagine home-made magic tricks are more durable, too. The tricks I buy are made some of the most awful cheap stuff.

17. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

I bought a journal solely for use of my clown skits and magic tricks. Whenever I would come up with a wacky idea or unique magic trick, I would write it down and find ways to make it happen with durable supplies.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

There is a shop here in Minnesota called Axman that sells all sort of random stuff. I find that those shops supply useful things that can be used for a prop or in a act. Springs, small cups, clothes, sometimes even circus type costumes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

The book of cool has a variety of things in it from card tricks to beginners slight of hand...

20. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

Axman, which I mentioned earlier, even sells things like pvc piping and taxidermy eyes...which is great if you are working on puppets or ventriloquist dummies. You never know what you will find there.

• Useful Useful x 1