1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do clowns & balloons really go hand in hand

Discussion in 'The Clown Café' started by KageTomari, Nov 10, 2015.

1. KageTomari

KageTomari prolific poster....

I was wonder why do people say that clowns & balloons go hand in hand ? I know some clowns use them but I don't think every clown does I don't think so I'm not sure

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

Well, balloons are colorful and an easy (and rather cheap) reminder of childhood. Which a kid can take home with them! But yeah, I do work with clowns that don't do any balloon twisting, so it's not really a necessary thing to do.

(Since I'm sort of the designated balloon twister, I usually am handling the long lines while the rest of the clowns do gags and magic tricks and such.)

3. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

Here is my take on it. I think of it more as a media depiction thing more of a stereotype. Think about how benevolent clowns are typically portrayed in general. Usually they are wearing a one piece suit and most likely a whiteface.

4. Keekipoo

Keekipoo Active Member

Not all clowns have balloons, whether they're to twist or just to look at.
    Bozo didn't always have balloons. Pretty sure Emmett Kelley didn't, either.

I bet we could get this thread started on naming clowns who did not have balloons often, or at all. What do you think?

5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Many home town clowns branch out in different directions. There are more opportunities to make money at parties if you can do magic, face paint, make balloon animals, tell stories, put on puppet shows, etc. Clowns are often jacks of all trades. They might not be as good at magic as someone who is just a magician or as good at face painting as a face painter, but when a customer calls looking for a magician to perform a magic show, they can take the job.

6. KageTomari

g do all clowns that do balloons work alone? and it must be hard to do long lines

7. KageTomari

gosh that is true I wonder why

8. KageTomari

I don't think Emmett Kelley ever use balloons well I don't he did and FryPan from The Pumpkin Head didn't tho hes a singer

9. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

It depends on the event. I've done some pretty big events (Easter Egg Hunt, community talent shows, etc.) where we've had five or so clowns doing twisting. Small church events, I'm usually fine going alone.

10. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

I don't do balloons. I was told that if I did not no one would hire me and that ok I treat my clowning as a hobby and not doing it for money. I have branch out in other direction and have fulfill the void of balloons. I quit doing balloons because pain in my hands, that you should not give to kids under three, and most important I was tired of being a machine with long lines of kids all saying I want I want and not be a clown having a good time with kid providing laughs and smiles.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

As Sir Toony said Most clowns are jacks of many trades I love balloons, Face painting, Magic and story telling. But I know my limits and sit in awe sometimes of puppeteers at least the good ones, I'm too shall we say Beefy and Seasoned to be a tumbler. I try to challenge myself to learn more like ball juggling, I have conceded, I'm a hopeless cause, but I can juggle scarves and dance at the same time, simple thing but I have found a way to make my simple skill entertaining. So getting back to the question Do clowns and balloons go hand in hand? I say it depends on the venue I am asked to perform in. And 95 % I'm alone juggling 2 skill sets at the same events. If I'm ballooning Yes I have the longer lines but they still need to be entertained while they wait so I sing (badly) silly songs and tell jokes while I twist as I am not a twisting machine I was hired to entertain as a balloonist so that's what I do.

12. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Clowns tend to think that they have to be able to do a little bit of everything in order to succeed. And, while having additional skills certainly offers more opportunities and potential increased marketability, the reality is often that the most successful entertainers are those who do fewer things particularly well.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

I'm not sure I think has to do with the classic American clowning. But clowns are not the only ones who are subject to this think about other stereotypical depictions of other careers like a firefighter. Most people would think about seeing a dalmatian with them.

I agree, I think this is the reason why most beginners feel overwhelmed and fizzle out.

14. KageTomari

oh poor little clown I think lots of people would still hire you , clowns don 't need balloons at all

15. KageTomari

g I'm sure you could be a puppeteer & do juggling and g you must have. lot of fun when you do balloons

16. KageTomari

oh g well clowns don't have to do alot of things to be great and I know a sad clown on facebook he sometimes sells balloons and walks around being funny & cute

17. KageTomari

g did alot of classic clowns did alot of everything? and poor new clowns

18. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

We all can't be Emmett Kelly, Lou Jacobs, Joe Grimaldi, David Larible, Red Skelton, Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) or others. We all don't get the breaks we need or have the opportunity to show and be recognized for our skills. All the greats Got to where they are or were because of learning and experimenting with those skills to achieve greatness. I need to be adaptable to be more marketable in my small market. But I learned in Boy Scouts years ago: Be Prepared! In my area I need to be prepared to entertain in what ever the client needs as they are the ones who pay me to do just that entertain. I don't know every skill, and I won't claim that I am, but the skills I have, I draw from them all to make my other persona the best he can be. I'm not condeming anyone with just one skill set or any other with more. I personally like being able to adapt.

I feel that learning new things in other skill sets can only help me be stronger in another. When I'm Ballooning, Storytelling, jokes, silly songs, even Face painting make me think differently and make me more entertaining as a Balloonist.

If You can be famous and world known for your one skill in your area congratulations to you. Maybe you found your Nitch and I'm happy for you.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  19. KageTomari

I think its cool that some clowns can do so many things it must take alot of time to learn them all

20. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Kage, I've been at this for almost 34 years I started when i was 14 doing balloons paid my way through (2) 2 yr degrees hustling balloons as street performer, Restaurant work and parties. I added as I learned new skills, Theatre degree taught me make up and Face paint as it was our job when we did open weekends events. Then I added things slowly. Yes it does take a while to learn and gather the necessary props and equipment. But I learn new things everyday, new techniques new twist, new skills. I strive to always be better. I wish you luck and peace as you learn more about your inner clown in what ever persona it turns out to be. From Your Drawings and your YOUTUBE interest I'm imagining a manga Vibe to the look and that's cool. There are others on this forum and friends that are looking to incorporate the look into their characters as well.