1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Nose?

Discussion in 'Newbies to clowning' started by sillydaddyatl, Oct 26, 2015.

1. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

My kids are getting interested in clowning, and I want to give them a decent looking clown nose that isn't painted on. But I'm not ready to invest in something like a ProKnows for them, yet.

Anyone have any tips on making professional looking clown noses? Does anyone even make their own nose?

Thanks!

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I have never worked with model magic, but the idea might work. I know that some clays shrink as they dry, but I don't know if model magic does or not.

I have used that basic concept to create a model nose which I cast with plaster to make the nose out of latex. It would definitely be cheaper to buy a real nose from ProKnows than buying all of the supplies to make a casting.

3. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

That right there is good to know.

Thanks!!

4. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Well it being Halloween right now your local Costume shop, Spirit store or even Wal-mart would have plastic noses or even foam ones to play with. They are inexpensive and are great for kids. The Halloween costume sellers always have clown supplies as clowns are a staple. PinkBerry had a great idea as well the model magic putty dries like a soft rubbery plastic. it doesn't shrink as far as I have seen. we used it at school to make pencil huggers and toppers the kids loved them if the nose doesn't work there's always craft time. Glad to see you are encouraging the kids to take an interest in the art.

5. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

I make my own noses and change them on a whim. If you are making one then it will be cheaper to just buy a ProKnows. With any prefabricated nose you will not get a custom fit.

I made a copy of my nose with plaster bandage and plaster. Then when I fancy a new nose I get some medical silicone, roll it out with a pasta maker (multiple rollers and cutters, but I don't use the cutting part), model the new nose on the plaster nose copy and then let it cure (2-3 days). For the top nose layer I use a metal teaspoon to do all the shaping as your fingers leave fingerprint marks, and the spoon just leaves a shiny nose surface. I use medical grade silicone adhesive to stick it on my face.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

7. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Are you allergic?

I do think that it's elastic string offered with Jeff's stuff. Though, of course one can.easily replace it, if desired. (I occasionally have to.replace mine, when the elastic no longer holds tight.)