1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dance Routines

Discussion in 'Party Clowning' started by milo, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Glad you bumped it professor cause I love music and was curious so I listened to a few mentioned. I listened to Ooops upside your head by Gap band. Don't think I would play it with the suggestive lyrics. I really don't even like Macarena for that same fact. Even Cotton Eye Joe has the word h - e double toothpicks in it. You can be alot safer with children's music. Mr. Al's album Kids Rock Too has some remakes on some 60's and 70's music that he has cleaned up that are cute. http://www.mralmusic.com/www.mralmusic.com/Album_Song_and_Video_Listings.html.
    I use the hokey pokey and at christmas the reindeer pokey version. Jack Hartman also has a cute reggie version of it too. I love his Alligator Chomp! I also like Greg and Steve's version of Chicken Dance. It is longer and has some fingerplays added into it. Did anyone mention the Mexican Hat Dance, or the Bunny Hop. Anybody remember Ballin the Jack. I like this version kind of 50's ish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH-h4ykDtpU&feature=related
    Sara K.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Mimi Bug

Mimi Bug New Member

Love Train
    Always do the Hokey Pokey
    March Music is great also, I take out a music bag with lots of rythum instruments inside and we March and play along!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. ProfessorPlay

ProfessorPlay New Member

Thank you

I'd like to thank you for your response. I liked that ballin the jack. I am going to check into those other cd's. I still struggle with my clowning, but I sure do love learning and teaching different activities. Thanks again so much...and yes, I like that gap band version(and I found a kids version, but they completely took out the dance stuff....so not sure how it'd all work out...) Bye for now!

4. ProfessorPlay

ProfessorPlay New Member

Sound requirement

For those who do this, I wonder if you could share what kind of sound equipment you use. I see a lot of options, but don't know that I can spend a thousand dollars or want a 500 pound sound system to carry into people's homes! Any advice would be great!

5. Special K'z

Well if you want to go cheep you can get a honeytone amp. It is small compact but then again you won't get great sound. But it does work for somewhat portability. I think there might be some new more compact models of amps out there that might be louder nicer new technology. I don't know I have used a honeytone and it does O.K. I can use if for a home birthday party hooked up to my smart phone to play music just fine. I usually use my fender passport 150 which is huge and expensive but it gets out there for like fair gig or gymnasiums.

Sara K.

6. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

Gangnam Style! And the gentleman. Cuz a surprising number of kids will know the dance better than you do. :D

7. Special K'z

anybody know what the translations to those songs are? The videos are very suggestive. Maybe the song isn't that bad. I tend to stay with ones I know what they mean.
    S.K.

8. LarryTheClown

I hear that the lyrics are pretty suggestive, too. I'm not bothered much since it's in a foreign language, and the song has no meaning to the kids outside the tune itself. However, probably stay away if you're uncomfortable with that sort of thing.

9. LarryTheClown

I am bumping this up because I have been doing a lot of dancing lately. The dance du jour seems to be Pharell Williams' "Happy Dance." There are, like, a million variants on how to do this dance (including one that seems geared toward young children). There is a video online, though, from the dance choreographer that shows the official way of how the dance goes. The Happy Dance still seems to be going strong, with Ellen DeGeneres using it as a way to promote her show.

Another dance (that is popular at every wedding I've been to) would be the Cha-Cha Slide. Fortunately, that one calls out its moves ahead of time. It's good to be familiar with it, though, so you know what to do when the singer calls out, "Charlie Brown." (I think it's the hunched shoulders dancing from the Charlie Brown Christmas, but I'm not sure.)

I'm personally trying to learn a few K-Pop moves, as there's a chance that kids haven't heard it yet, and the ruling style is bright and peppy. I mentioned Gangnam Style above, but there were some concerns if it was kid friendly or not. What is kid friendly is Crayon Pop. Their song, "Bar Bar Bar", has some fun, easy to learn dance moves I haven't tried this out at a gig yet, though, so I have no idea if the language barrier is an issue.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. LarryTheClown

I used some music from Pogo the other day. I think that they're generally kid-friendly, as he typically does dance remixes based on sounds collected from disney movies (Alice and Mary Poppins being favorites). The one that energizes me most, though, is "Nicey Nicey," which is apparently based on something that looks like a kid's show, but isn't.

I've honestly never seen the show, but the song never fails to inspire me to do a weird dance/juggle hybrid that got one amused grandma to chant, "Yeah, Zippy! Get down! Get down!"