1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costuming on the Cheap?

Discussion in 'Costumes' started by Indecisive, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

So here is a crude drawing of the pants I want to make.

[​IMG]

The problem I have when I buy regular pants in that I have a big waist and really short legs.

Is there a way I can make fun of my small hands?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. MacLaughAgain

MacLaughAgain New Member

I agree, though i may be a clown of a different sort, i find a lot of usefull things on http://www.Amazon.com there are many inexpensive items that can be put together to form a costume, i love the striped leg warmers and arm warmers they allow you to have a short sleeve look without showing skin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

Oh yes I was thinking of getting some leg/arm warmers. I can't seem to find the right shade of pink.

I found that tulle I had hiding in the back of my closet. I'm gonna see if I have enough to make a collar.

4. MacLaughAgain

MacLaughAgain New Member

5. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

If I put my costume on the expensive it would probably cost me about $150-300.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I think that cost is less important than quality and durability. Most of my sewing is limited to Halloween costumes. A werewolf who is wearing a torn shirt doesn't need to have the same quality as other characters might. I usually run out of time and patience and rush to complete sewing projects which leads to uneven stitches.

Someone once said to always buy the best for the available budget. If you have a $300 dollar limit, buy the best you can for $300. If that means cutting out a matching hat, shoes and gloves, buy those later. You don't need to go over your budget, but avoid anything that is so cheap that it will fall apart.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

I wish I had $300 plus to put down on a quality clown costume, but I don’t and that’s fine.

I really don’t wanna spend $20-40 dollars on a temporary costume for Halloween made of nylon. When I can put my creative mind to work and come up with something I pieced together. And the money I could have spent on that nylon costume could go towards the pieced together one.

I will either end up with something that actually looks good pieced together or when somebody sees it they will say "that looks so horrible".

I thought that was one of the things about clowning you get to be an individual and be creative.

8. MacLaughAgain

MacLaughAgain New Member

I like dressing up and sitting around my living room :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I like taking my clothes off and going outside.

The neighbors....not so much.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

As much as I would like to play dress up by myself I should go in public as a clown.

11. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

I buy all my clothing at Goodwill or other second hand stores. My rule of thumb is if you wonder aloud why anyone would buy it, then it is potential clown wear. Used clothing is very inexpensive, which allows you to buy and try on very little money. If you don't like it then it's not a huge loss. I find my outfits more by experimentation rather than by design.

Instead of a single look, I mix and match many options, so I have a different look for every event. Only your imagination will limit you. In general if you see regular people wear it, then do the opposite. Buy something that you would not normally think about wearing, take it home and try to work it into a new look.

If you have short legs, buy a pair of pants and hem them to capri level, somewhere lower than the knee but higher than the ankle. It will look strange and exaggerate your short legs. If you wear high socks they will lessen this effect. If you are thin, then buy a wider waist.

12. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

You can work with what you got and if thoughtfully done it will be great My overalls were just farmer surplus store find and I loved them. I accessorized to my liking scrap material and a little sewing and costume was born. I was nervous at first as I tried things. The Overalls were made for a fat giant I had to cut off about 2 feet of the legs. I wore a pair of big chucks I bought at a store they were for display only size 19 that was 20 years ago. I got them for 25$ wore then till they died then sprung for spears shoes costly but love them. I still use the overalls as a base and love them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

I like the look of them cant wait to see the end product

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

Thanks Donuts. :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Chuckles_Douchet

Chuckles_Douchet New Member

I am obsessed with every part of my clown... I say this as the non clown me of course.

I consider my costume to be ever changing, ever evolving. I like to change the perception of my body shape as a clown. I make my torso more noticeable, and my legs shorter. It's all an illusion. I view my costume as an extension of my clowns personality. And WOW! what personalities my clown has!

I go to thrift stores and look at fabrics only. I look for details that I can add to my costume as opposed to looking for "that one piece."

If you want to look more girlish, I suggest you do some historical research on costumes. Look at how women have worn costumes, and how they have evolved. It's rather fascinating!

Start with a style, and add from there. Do you want to be ruffely or polkadotty?
    Pants or skirt or dress? Bow tie or pearls? What kind of clown are you?

These are questions only you can answer, and you can't answer them wrong.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

Amazon helps alot.

17. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

I love perusing second hand stores, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc... I haven't seen anything to my liking lately, as I am putting together a stylized pirate outfit. My original white face pants are
    red ladies capri pants on sale at Walmart, just perfect! I get the same funny looks in the ladies department as I do in the makeup department, doesn't bother me. It's all for the art.

I agree with Sir Toony, buy quality and modify as needed. If you don't sew, you can ask around to see who does and I'm sure you can find someone to sew what you need for a few bucks. Your design looks to me like a quality pair of pants, 2 yards of ribbon and 1/2 yard of purple material.

Of course I now see this thread is 2 years old, how did you make out with your pantsquest?
    WN

18. katriniac

katriniac Well-Known Member

If you are planning on making your own costume, check out these two helpful articles:

Designing a clown costume for your specific performance needs -
    http://mooseburger.com/moose/clowncostume-need-want/

Choosing the right fabric for sewing -
    http://mooseburger.com/moose/tip-week/

Helpful tip:
    When you add fun colorful trim to thrift-store items, make sure they are the same fabrics unless you want to air-dry everything. If you sew 100% cotton braided gimp trim on 100% polyester pants, that gimp will shrink and buckle when you dry it in the dryer. But if you have time to let it air-dry, you can pull that gimp trim to stretch it out to its original length.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Hi Indie.............if you need some updated costumes, I have a short dress type thing that has long bloomers with it. Also have a top that you can use with those same bloomers. They were made for me when I first started out and I only wore them a couple of times. I also have 2 new pairs of orange bibs if you'd like them. I'm changing Punkin's costume and the odds are, I probably won't be needing them. If you want me to send them to me, please PM me. I have your address. An old friend of ours gave it to me a couple of years ago.