1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costume Sketches Critique

Discussion in 'Costumes' started by Mavis Pierrot, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Mavis Pierrot

Mavis Pierrot New Member

So I've decided to share two sketches of some costumes I made today and would love some critique on how to make them a bit more clowny before I sew the house down. Keep in mind that I am not a children's performer and incorporate elements from clown costumes into my drag outfits such as stripes, Polk-a-dots, mismatched patterns, and under/oversized accessories. Also, these are sketches so they are not colored, so I would love to hear some ideas for color schemes. Any part that is shaded in represents my skin and I will always be wearing white gloves with or without ruffles.

Outfit 1: A generic "sexy clown" look that can be bought at any costume shop. The necklace is made of pom-poms. The stockings have vertical stripes to make me appear taller and lankier. The skirt is made of tulle and the gloves have ruffles. This look also includes suspenders and some bootie heels.

Outfit 2: "No Funny Business" A receptionist/business look. This outfit features oversized buttons and a ridiculously small tie. It has a classic pencil skirt with two triangular panels on the sides and a stiletto heel. The giant glasses add a comedic touch.

IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0404.JPG

• Creative Creative x 2
  2. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Hi Mavis: Cool designs, it's great that you can make them yourself. Do you have a color scheme?
    WN.

3. Mavis Pierrot

Mavis Pierrot New Member

Thanks Willy!~ I don't have a color scheme yet, I'm thinking about pastel pink, lavender, and peach paired with orange or red hair.

4. Mavis Pierrot

Mavis Pierrot New Member

Outfit 3: Toy Soldier
    Outfit 4: Gingerbread Man
    Outfit 5: Polk-a-dot Mermaid Dress
    Outfit 6: Ice Cream Sundae Ball Gown

IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0410.JPG IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0425.JPG

• Creative Creative x 2
  5. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Y'know, Mavis, clowns don't have to be relegated to only children. You can perform for adults also.

Your make-up and wardrobe ideas are fantastic! A few skills and gags and you've got yourself a show.

• Agree Agree x 1