1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comics chat

Discussion in 'The Clown Café' started by LarryTheClown, Mar 17, 2015.

1. V

V Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the story of convergence or secret wars had any real and substantial plot motives other than creating a way yo give a soft reboot of titles. Both of them seem like a basic battle royale where the powers that be can either eliminate titles (that have become unpopular, have run their course, or to provide a jumping in point for potential new readers) or to merge characters variants into a single writing universe (ie - Marvel's 'Ultimate' Universe isn't very popular save for a few characters, so by moving them into the main stream creative universe it opens up more options for those popular characters - Miles Morales, etc).

On Deadpool being dead. He'll obviously make a return at some point with the character popularity and the upcoming film. His Secret Wars solicitation has to do with his involvement in 1980s Secret War. The upcoming Secret Wars solicitation is 'Mrs. Deadpool' focusing on Shiklah as the central character. You can likely bet on a Deadpool role or cameo though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is great! Other than the awesomeness of Miles Morales standing in for Black Costume Spider-Man, there's a lot of fun details in the background. The new Ms. Marvel takes the place of Reed Richards, because, duh, they both have stretchy powers. Ultron is in Iron Man's spot, given the new "Avengers: Age of Ultron" origin where he's Tony's creation. And there's Future Hulk taking the spot of regular Hulk. I'm sure there's a lot more fun substitutions if you look hard enough.

EDIT: Huh! I just noticed that Reed Richards is the only one missing from the corner image. I wonder if this is due to Fantastic Four getting canceled, and the rumor that Disney wants nothing to do with the FF since their movies are being made by a rival studio (Fox)?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. V

V Well-Known Member

Slowly working my way through 'Saga' and still enjoying it. I got distracted by rereading Marvel's Civil War (I didn't realize I'd missed as many issues originally so reading in chronological order this go round. I'm about 25 issues into the 100+/- arc and enjoying it a lot - hoping to finish it this week sometime and then get current on some ongoing Marvel titles before Secret Wars in a couple of weeks). Also, the obvious solicitations for DC & Marvel for week 4/20 will be available in a couple of days so we'll see how Convergence advances (if at all since I think it's just more battle royale filler with new cast this week - mindless fun nonetheless!)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. V

V Well-Known Member

Week of 4/22/2015:

Marvel Comics

All-New X-Men 040 - review incoming after reading

Amazing Spider-Man 017.1 - continuation of the 'Spiral' story and really, I'm not a fan of this story simply because nothing is really happening. Corruption in the system type of deal that isn't moving forward very much with this issue. Take it or leave it and if I wasn't subscribed to the series as a whole I probably wouldn't care to not own the Spiral arc. I own every Amazing Spider-Man title (in digital) and saw no point in skipping a few though, so what can you do?

Avengers - Operation Hydra 001 - A new 001 Avengers one-shot that didn't get much done. It introduced the good guys and the bad guys and had a little action. You won't be missing anything if you skip this one. Seems like this was only printed to get another Avengers brand out there ahead of the upcoming film.

Avengers Magazine 001 - Not a comic so much as just a fanzine. A lot of information and images with history of the various Avengers throughout time. Nothing you can't get for free on the internet. If you're an Avengers die hard, get the print issue for your collection. If not - don't...

Avengers VS 003 - review incoming after reading.

Avengers World 020 - review incoming after reading.

Black Widow 017 - review incoming after reading.

Guardians of the Galaxy & The X-Men - review incoming after reading.

Guardians of the Galaxy 026 - review incoming after reading.

Hulk 015 - review incoming after reading.

Inhuman Special 001 - review incoming after reading.

Star Wars 004 - review incoming after reading.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 004 - review incoming after reading.

Wolverines 015 - Zero happened here. Since Marvel dropped down to about 22 story pages nothing gets done if pages get wasted and a lot of them get wasted here. I'm following this series so it is what it is, but all that happened here was reinforcing that the characters who aren't trustworthy (some for decades in print) can't be trusted and are trying to manipulate the new guys in town. There was an okay cameo by an old character that doesn't get much publicity these days unless the film franchise goes ahead with the rumored 4th installment...

Obviously haven't read a lot of them so I'll Update as I get to them. Some of them I haven't read the 001 yet and need to catch up on them so it may take some time. I've been distracted with the old Civil War. I can't believe how much more content was in older books as compared to today. Quality was a lot better for the most part as well. Hoping the upcoming reboot fixes some of the current titles.

DC Comics

Convergence 003 - I liked this issue because it seems like the story finally moved forward. A good Batman sequence as well as a throwback to 'The Killing Joke.' The best issue of the brief series imo.

Convergence - Adventures of Superman - Part of the round of Convergence introductions to the various DC titles. This one was ok. Superman/Supergirl team-up under the dome - if you've followed the Convergence titles, you get the text from Telos in this one as well but it's obviously going to happen in all of the 001s.

Convergence - Batman & The Outsiders - One of the better Convergence tie-in titles this week. Like the others, it has a lot of set-up and such. The year under the dome and so forth, but probably has more character story and development than some of the others. Not great, not terrible - but for an intro to Convergence, it's a decent title for the week
    More to come.....

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. LarryTheClown

I picked up iZombie #1 (which you can get for $1.00 at your comic book shop thanks to a promotion with the CW) mainly because the TV show's intro sequence reminded me of how much I love Mike Allred's art. The book was ... okay. More ghost and vampire side characters than the show, which I kinda prefer for its more grounded approach. Anyway, it's mainly something to stack up, alongside my X-Force/X-Statix books, for Allred to sign if I ever run into him at a Comic Con. (Like I said earlier, it's mostly an excuse to have a talking point with the guy rather than as a collector's item.)

I am continuing getting my JSA on with JSA All Stars and JSA: Golden Age. The first is just a series of one-shots (with a disposable framing device about The Spectre really being a devil or whatever). Honestly, I am loving it so far. Again, JSA is the sort of thing that attracts all of my favorite writers, and it's a blast just seeing all my favorite characters in quick short stories.

JSA: The Golden Age is also great. Although technically an Elseworld's title, it's easy to imagine it occurring in the old pre-Flashpoint continuity. Basically, it's a meditation on the post-World War II world, where politicians begin to prey on new fears and men who had survived The Depression and WWII begin to feel the pressures on the new world unfolding before them. (My favorite touch was alluded to in the Starman series: Ted Knight was a hero once, but his involvement in the Manhattan Project causes him such extreme guilt that he's now living in a mental institution. He remembers, once upon a time, the thrill he felt when he met Albert Einstein.)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. LarryTheClown

Well, the new Daredevil show on Netflix has got me thinking of the dude in the red longjohns. Not having Netflix, I'm gonna have to read some of the old Frank Miller comics. Gonna start with #158 (downloaded from Comixology).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. V

V Well-Known Member

I've read a ton since my last post. Gotta tell you, some convergence titles are bad. I may never read another 'Batgirl' comic again just because of the shoddy product they put out in part 2 of their convergence run. Really getting tired of Convergence and Secret Wars all ready actually - can't wait for them to wrap it up.

'The Question' is the best thing to come out of DC's line-up imo. Still too early to tell on the Marvel side of things.

I've read several issues of 'Chew' by Image and like it a lot so far. Older audience reading for sure but still a good read.

On another note, I retired my old stage magic line-up and reset almost everything in it. While I was ordering some props and supplies, I added Robert Baxt's comic book prediction for the few comic and scifi conventionsI work and/or attend. Seems like it will play well. I'll let you know what I think once I run it a few times...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. LarryTheClown

I actually ended up grabbing two Convergence tie-ins, which, I admitted to the comic shop owner, I solely picked up for the nostalgia of it. Both were Superman titles. One followed up on John Byrne's post-Crisis Superman (who is now eagerly awaiting the birth of his and Lois Lane's child). The second was the one with Matrix Supergirl and Lex Luthor back when he was a young, hairy redhead. I unashamedly love the Superman mythos around the Death/Reign/Return of Superman, so... yeah, nostalgia trip. (Hey, I'm the guy who giddily got Dan Jurgens to sign my TPB of Death of Superman.)

Plus it's nice to see the Superman I grew up with get a sweet send-off. I guess this is how people felt when Alan Moore wrote Silver Age Superman's final chapter with "Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow", but honestly? This might be better. I wasn't a fan of Moore killing everybody off, which seems contrary to the spirit of the stuff that Curt Swan was drawing.

(Curt Swan is interesting, by the way. He's by far my favorite artist of the Silver Age, and he gave the characters a three dimensional, rounded quality that's missing in a lot of the modern photo-realistic styles. He also worked with Moore on "Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow". AND he illustrated Larry Niven's "Man of Steel/Woman of Kleenex" essay... which had rather dirty pictures of Lana Lang and Lois Lane.)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. LarryTheClown

*dust dust dust*

Well!

After months of not getting any new comics, I've... still not gotten any new comics! But I did get some old TPB's.

The most recent one is the TPB for new 52 Savage Hawkman... and it's bad. Oh, man, he's hardly even a hero. I don't know if it's intentional, but basically every monster that emerges is his fault. This does not make you want to like him, and he's already got an uphill battle with popularity. Fortunately, I got this out of the Half-Price books.

Then I picked up some old Excalibur comics. This is my team. The first comic I ever picked up. And you know what? It is still great. Claremont is tapping into his love for weirdo storylines (the first tale is about interdimensional creatures that dress up in the skins of victims, but act like characters in a British sitcom). Alan Davis is easily one of the most underrated artists from the 90's, and his pencils are gorgeous. Loving my trip back in time so far.

And finally I picked up a Fantastic Four TPB, because all this talk about how terrible the new movie is just whet my appetite for the old Lee and Kirby stories. I'm gonna break out the fine wine and cheeses tonight!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. V

V Well-Known Member

I've still been getting digital comics of all the weekly Marvel and DC stuff, plus Saga and Chew but have read zero of them. I take summers off my regular job so that I can do entertainment stuff but I start back on the 24th and will go back to having 2 nights a week to read if I don't sleep so I can catch up on everything and will start posting here again.

I haven't went to see FF in theaters because of the reviews, but the review isn't much of a surprise since the movie showed strong suggestions of stinking it up a long time before its release. I hope they get everything inline for the sequel or at least the cross-over that should be coming with the new Captain America since they're starting into the 'Marvel Civil War' arc, which is one of my favorites. Not having a lot of faith that they won't screw it up, but one can always hope...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. LarryTheClown

On an impulse buy, I decided to pick up the "Starlord & Kitty Pride" Battleworld comic. Alternate versions of the characters, sure, but some neat moments. Starlord is a lounge singer who has appropriated Disney songs (and alternate universe Disney princesses coo over him... nice corporate synergy there, Marvel). Kitty is working for Dr. Doom, but she not has wrist-mounted Wolverine claws. I love this little detail, and she's always been Wolvie's protege, and it sorta reminds me of when she inherited one of Wolvie's claws in Claremont's X-Men Forever. Clearly, Kitty is the one who should be inheriting the mantle of Wolverine Girl, and not, say, X-23.

Also, Widget totally makes an appearance. I'd just been reading old Excalibur stories, so having that little guy pop up with his "Oh Golly, Oh Gee, Oh WOW!" was delightful and eerily timely.

12. LarryTheClown

I've been browsing the Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez facebook page and, man, those illustrations are awesome.

And frankly, you've all probably seen his artwork. Garcia-Lopez's illustrations have graced pretty much any piece of DC Comics merchandise for the last 30 years. It's pretty much ingrained into my mind as the ideal definition of "superhero."

13. LarryTheClown

*dusts off thread*

Hey, its Free Comic Book Day tomorrow!

Also... it's the day before Mother's Day, which means I'm booked for an event and will not be scoring free comics. However, I will be dressing up in my Captain America alternate duds to do a whole Civil War thing at the zoo.

14. V

V Well-Known Member

The new Star Wars comic title "Dr Aphra" is pretty good. Only a few issues into the run...

15. LarryTheClown

Getting excited for ECCC. They're celebrating 15 years, and they managed to line up some great comic guests. I know everyone's agog about Stan Lee, but gosh darn it Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is going to be there and will probably sign my TPB for free! (Also Rob Liefeld, who is unironically my hero.)

I also went to Rose City last year to meet James Robinson. Biggest geek out moment was when I got to explain why I dressed up as Dr. Mid-Nite.