1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clowns with black , brown or bronze painting

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by Laila, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Laila

Laila New Member

I have been debating with colleagues and friends of clowns about the damage that have done clowns that terrorizing people, and now the movie It, again showing evil clowns.

The profession is in crisis, and it is often said that one must renew or die.

What I propose and I will do is a change in the makeup, traditionally it is white and red. So I'm going to change it for black or brown. A new look that surprises people, but keeping the essence of the clown. Would you join?

I think it's a good idea for us, just as things are, we start doing things like that.

I hope you spread this idea.

Thank you very much,

2. V

V Well-Known Member

Poorly trained clowns have been terrorizing people for decades - why stop now?

Not sure what your original post really means? You're suggesting a revolution to clown arts by changing the color of your make-up?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you are trying to suggest, but my first impression when hearing a suggestion of using black and brown makeup is doing blackface which would NOT be a good idea.

When it comes to hometown entertainers, I think there are more people than ever before working at parties and other events. It might be true that a small fraction of those entertainers are going as clowns to perform a traditional clown show. It is really unfortunate, because one entertainer can put on a show to entertain 10, 20, 50, 100, or 500 people all at the same time. Ask them to do balloons or face painting and they can only get to 15-20 kids in one hour and the face paint or balloon only last a limited amount of time.

Although there are fewer clowns, I know people are going out as Princesses, pirate, or superhero characters. Can't forget Santa and Mrs Claus at the holidays. Maybe a Halloween and Easter character too. Each of these characters can draw on the skills learned by clowning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I do wonder if bronze or, say, gold might be a good idea. Kinda like those living statue street performers. Or those gold people form Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

5. V

V Well-Known Member

I have a friend who works as Black Pete around Christmas. Controversy as to the merit of this character being 'black face,' but to outsiders looking in and those who don't know who Black Pete is - then it's probably hands down, black face... I'll do a Christmas act with him on occasion - one of those 'in a blue moon' things, but it's fun enough and I'm glad he has the courage to continue with the character is modern atmospheres...

Balloon 'line-work' is a terrible thing. I stopped doing it years ago and my only regret is not abandoning it sooner. I do a balloon stage show (or occasionally build giant sculptures for businesses or events) instead and the result is that I entertain just as many people, but use less much product (since not everyone gets a balloon. I have gigs that pay hundreds of dollars more than my line work, and spends less of my hours and balloons - often less than a bag of balloons), don't have to deal with endless, hours long lines, and have reduced liability concerns since I'm not handing out balloons left-and-right. I wish people would stop standing in line as a form of entertainment..

• Informative Informative x 1