1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clown School Curriculum/Schedule

Discussion in 'Newbies to clowning' started by sillydaddyatl, Jan 15, 2017.

1. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

Anyone have a sample curriculum guide and/or schedule for a local clown school?

Thanks!

2. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Are you looking to start an alley school/ training class?

3. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

Possibly. The alley I'm in doesn't do one, and I'm suggesting we look at starting one. And my philosophy is if you're going to suggest something, you better be ready to get involved. I thought there was an article on this in the old forum software, but it seems like all those articles are gone now.

So I've seen some alleys do a one day class. Some do two days. Some do 9 weeks. Some 12 weeks. I guess I'm just curious how different folks break that all down. What have you found that works best?

4. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

OK wouldn't scan so here goes 10 week course

Week 1 - Introduction to clowning 1 Types of clowns 2 design clown face and costume ideas 3 weekly schedule Clown Instructors will put on makeup and explain as it is done different types of clown looks (offer costumes that were donated to the alley from former clowns to get ideas or a starting point to the finished look)

Week 2 1 Students apply t here makeup with help from instructors 2 Discuss costume 3. discuss possible names 4. Start Balloons

week 3 1. Help with makeup and address problems 2. Check Costume progress 3.check on clown name progress 4. Address Balloon problems. 5 intro to Face paint

Week 4 1 Continue with Makeup and Costume 2. Introduce simple magic 3 address balloon problems

week 5 Students come to class in costume and Makeup 2. instructors and students critique each other 3 Discuss second session 4. Hand out 5 week certificates

Week 6 Introduce Juggling and Plate Spinning 2. Intro to Mime 3. Instructors perform skits showing techniques 4. Question and answer on skits 5. Students take home skit books and choose a skit or two they would like to perform

Week 7 1 Birthday Party Presentation 2 More Balloons taught 3. check on Makeup and Costume 4.Begin practicing skits 5. Addition of jokes, Walkarounds and Walk Ons

week 8 1. intro to more complex magic 2. Practice Skits 3. Begin to put Graduation show together

week 9 1. Practice skits 2. Set up basic show Completely 3 Go through complete Show

Week 10 Dress rehearsal Full Costume make up skills and skits

Graduation performance at the meeting the next week includes membership to the alley and the perks that go with membership.

The Instructors have handouts that will be handed out each week. We will supply some needed supplies like: a few Practice balloons and where to find them, basic Magic, *Juggling, some walk around props, and loaner props, but students are to supply their own makeup, costume, and juggling balls/plates and quality balloons if they would like to further these skills.

* We make Balloon and Rice Juggling balls and use silk scraps Squares to learn scarf juggling. We also have loaner plates but do have them for purchase at cost.

Hope that helps our handouts are to much to upload the whole class handout course and the stuff we give to students

5. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

Thanks so much, Donuts! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I have a question on this. Do you have students get into makeup and costume every week or just for the first 5 weeks and a check-up on week 7?

7. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Yes they get into make up every week so they get used to putting it on so we can help with any questions they have as well as addressing any changes they make to there look. As you know peoples faces change as they get more into there character and costume choices. We've had one that expressed a desire to changed character type and wanted to try a different makeup. We worked with the students through the whole process.

8. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

That makes sense to me. Practice is always helpful. I know it always seems to take me many repetitions to develop a skill.

9. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

That's a good find. I know the authors, but didn't know about that guide.

Triton Troupers is a community based annual circus supported by a Chicago area junior college. The first year one "enrolls" you take this hands on "class" of preparation for the circus as a continuing education course. In subsequent years, you can participate as an "alumnus." Some people return for many years. The show, itself, has an over forty year history.

10. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member