1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clown ministry skits

Discussion in 'Skit and Improv' started by tfraymond, Oct 18, 2014.

1. tfraymond

tfraymond New Member

For those who are interested, I just posted a new clown ministry skit, "Making room for my stuff" - take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Very nice. Leaves some room for expansion or improvisation.

I especially like the use of foam props. You are good at building props, you could possibly add some wire to the foam props so they can be scrunched up tight, and then expand when removed from the Bible.

• Groan Groan x 1
  3. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Good to see you back around the Forum Tom.

4. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

Often when people on this forum write things like that, they really mean "Tell me how great I am". And perhaps my journey through this forum would have been considerably smoother if I'd adopted such a policy. However, whether it be culturally, socially, my personality, or a combination of these, I do not play those games. I'm direct and honest and I only ever develop true respect for those who are direct and honest in return.

So after that preamble, I've got to ask, how dare you call that a clown skit? It irritates me beyond words that you might hope to pass that off as anything remotely connected to clowns. It might be good (to God knows to who) if you're judging it from a preaching angle but there's absolutely nothing in it that could possibly be described as clowny. Just because you've labeled the participants as Clown 1 and Clown 2, does not make it a clown skit. It could just as easily been, girl and boy, soldier and sailor or fish and dog, without any discernible detriment to the skit or the message it contains. It rankles me that you thought it might be that easy and it rankles me that you've shown such little understanding and appreciation for the art of the clown.Sorry kids but Leviticus 11:7 is back in, so next time you eat pepperoni on your pizza, you go to Hell.

I might not have written any of that above, if it had not been for this.

I've independently come across your joke site, liked it, used it and thank you now, for the efforts you've put into it. I've repeated to clowns on this forum, jokes I read on your page. But knowing you have some interest and appreciation of things that are funny and have been motivated enough to share them with others, it is a crying shame you do not think to put any of that into your skits.

5. tfraymond

tfraymond New Member

Well, that's 1 in favor, and 1 opposed :)

It's a clown ministry skit, and if you think there's not enough clowning in it, that's fine -- I try to write my skits as an outline, with room for people to inject their own clowning.

I don't post links for people to tell me how wonderful I am -- it truly is to get feedback, and constructive criticism.

If you don't like it, don't use it; if you have some suggestions on how to make it more clownish, feel free to share them; if it makes sense to me, I'll update it.

And, for that reason, anyone who wants to contribute skits is welcome to do so -- I'll cheerfully link back to their sites, and share some link love. <3

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Congratulations, TF, you have captured the attention and ire of Barry Daft. That should be listed as at least some kind of accomplishment on this site.

7. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Clown 3: walks up, takes Bible, rips out Leviticus, throws the pages up in air, hands bible back to clown 1, walks offstage

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. tim

Clown 2: a take offstage where clown 3 exited, "Damn you!"

9. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Maybe treading dangerous ground:

Leviticus?? Why rip out Leviticus?? There are plenty of things that people think shouldn't be in the Bible.

Just based on my own experience, why not rip out Proverbs chapter 5, the entire book The Song Of Solomon, I Corinthians chapter 7.

10. Milky Manna

Milky Manna New Member

Why Song of Solomon? That's the best piece in there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. tim

Pepperoni goes good on "mountains."

12. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pookie [​IMG]
    Maybe treading dangerous ground:

Leviticus?? Why rip out Leviticus?? There are plenty of things that people think shouldn't be in the Bible.

Just based on my own experience, why not rip out Proverbs chapter 5, the entire book The Song Of Solomon, I Corinthians chapter 7.

Yeah, that's kind of the point.

To expand, slightly, on my original post, those passages that I pointed out all have one thing in common: the importance of a sexual relation between husband and wife. Unfortunately, many of the religious peoples that I know poo-poo the idea of talking about that subject, especially amongst married people.

I scratch my head even more when those same people are wont to quote St. Paul's admonition that every word that God put in the Bible is good for instruction and understanding. Somehow, thought, sex in marriage is deemed not something that should be instructed.

(p.s. Sorry, TF, for kind of semi-hijacking the thread...)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Milky Manna

Milky Manna New Member

Except there was no "Bible" as we know it when Paul was writing his letters. They had the Torah... mmmm genocide, infanticide, and stonings oh my. Ah the disembodied voices from the nada telling someone to sacrifice their child on a mountain. If it were modern days, it would be drowning them in a bathtub, wouldn't it? But instead of hailing these parents as servants of god, we label them crazy, murderers... lock them up. Weird. I suppose since god sent no angel to stop her hands and did not provide a random goat for her to drown instead, we can discern that she was listening to some voice other than Jehovah? No, Andrea Yates was no Abraham.

I have missed your point since I don't quite understand how Leviticus can be compared to any of those other passages you listed. One example: Leviticus 20:18.

If you have sex with your wife while she's menstruating, you're to both be executed.

In light of that one example, why does anyone wonder why human sexuality is uncomfortable for Christians?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

I was going to make a similar small minded, intolerant response to you small minded, intolerant post, Milky, but, outside of this response, I am not a small minded, intolerant person.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps now would be a good time to declare Princess of Queensberry rules in effect for this thread. All further posts must take the form of chaphop "dis songs" of at least three verses. War dancing is optional. (I confess a certain fascination with the Maori haka, and will award extra points for a well executed one.) You may begin here...

16. Milky Manna

Milky Manna New Member

Does this happen often? No time to follow the rules today, but if someone does a video response, I'll put considerably more effort into a second go round.

http://youtu.be/4StRumLK46g

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

I didn't want to delve too deeply into theological questions, raised by Tom's original post. Otherwise I'd have to question the perversity of why I'm helping him teach children, that it's OK to kill atheists. My intention had been two fold. To question and raise concerns about his clown skit writing abilities and then, (as always) to inspire some kind of dialogue, that could help rectify that situation. When I think of clowning and clown skits, words such as, provocative, entertaining, nonsense, dramatic, peculiar, exciting, emotional, memorable, bizarre and above all, FUNNY, come to mind. As far as I'm concerned, it would be a complete impossibility to associate any of those words, with the original skit above. Though most people might be too polite to say it, I doubt there are many here who would strongly dispute that sentiment. My desire is to motivate him and others to look for and get creative, making clowny funnies.

I'm not going to expend my energy, providing you with a fully worked up skit, so that you can go away and successfully corrupt the minds of innocents. But I will explain how I might approach such a task and what sort of process my mind might go through, when writing a skit, (which coincidentally, shares some similarity to that of your head honcho). Jesus was, a great story teller. He employed parables, to memorably explain to his followers, a philosophy of how to live their lives. Parables were not necessarily intended, to be accepted as literal truths. They were instead designed to entertainingly, illustrate a concept, through metaphor and allegory, which could be then extrapolated out and practiced in real life.

You want to get the message across, that all parts of the Bible are important and you can't ignore parts you don't like. So my first thoughts would be looking for ideas where I could succinctly demonstrate the concept of the necessity of the whole. Immediately my mind throws up things like, a pencil without lead, fish and chips without the fish, a deflated balloon, McCartney without Lennon, an aeroplane without wings, etc. The saying, "The sum of the whole, is greater than the parts", also comes to mind. I could go on forever with such as these. After I have a handful that would be appropriate to my target audience, (I doubt how many six year old American kids know who Lennon and McCartney are), I would then start to think about how I can adapt them to suit the message and make them funny.

I'd research jokes, nonsense stories, poems, cartoon strips, games etc on pencils, The Beatles, fish, areoplanes, etc. Your joke page would be a great tool here Tom, I've used it lots for this type of thing. But go further, be adventurous. Clean joke sites are fine but those that cater to an adult, sick, filthy, brand of humour, also make for great sources of inspiration. You can often take the adult concept and adapt it to work for a specific audience. All the time, I'd be thinking about how, I can use that joke, cartoon strip, etc., to illustrate one of my ideas. I'd be thinking as a clown, how I can act out these funnies. How can I communicate from the stage to my audience, through movement, mime, balloons, posture, props, costume, sound, magic tricks, vocals, lighting etc. some of the funnies that best convey the message.

There will always be a bunch of dead ends to make, fruitless exploratory journeys and walls to hit. Eventually though, I might have a funny piece of performable nonsense, honed from and emerging from all the chaff. I'd be aiming for something that perfectly, metaphorically, illustrates the concept I want to convey, in a funny and concise piece, that will be memorable and both entertain and inform my audience.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  18. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Huh???

Sorry, I first thought your video was titled Dissident, damn aging eyes again. Well, I guess I'll have to wait for another time to school you, and, honestly, possibly a few others here, what being a dissident is. But I digress...

I would respond to your video, however after viewing it several times I can not make heads or tails what your point is or what you're trying to say. Or more to the point, what that had to do with my point that you are small minded and intolerant. Honestly, it cemented my thoughts that you are indeed, small minded and intolerant. Perhaps you'll have better luck next time.

By the by, Barry, I think that you should be crowned king of clowns here on our little forum.

• Groan Groan x 3
  19. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Barry doesn't like monarchy either, Pookie; that's about on the same level as blessing him!

(But I'll hide my crown, just in case.)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. tim

I nominate this for post of the year, and further recommend it as required reading at every clown convention - right before competitions!

• Thanks Thanks x 1