1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clown Lives Matter

Discussion in 'The Clown Café' started by Dynamo, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

Why are those creepy clowns trying to take over our reputation?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

I'm not so convinced that the clown is the appropriate choice for entertaining children. Maybe society understands this better than you party type clowns and this fright clown phenomena is a cultural reflection of that. Perhaps it's time for clowns to re-evaluate what it means to be a clown and shift their focus from the grotesque and exaggerated makeup, to something a little more child friendly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I have long thought that the princess and pirate characters have been gaining in popularity. They could become the new characters for clowns to portray when they need to entertain kids at parties.

While I have seen many news reporters take the, nobody really likes clowns attitude, I think the problem are the kids. They have been told over and over again that they should be afraid of clowns. When I was growing up, we told ghost stories, today, they are telling clown stories in attempt to scare their friends. I am not sure how to regain control of the image and stop the spread of fear.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I think step one is pointing out the absolute ludicrousness of telling clown stories. Kids hate being totally uncool.

(But seriously, when a kid tells me they're afraid of clowns --- but not really, since they're OK with telling me that at a close distance --- I go, "That's OK. I'm afraid of kids. So we should be cool, right?")

• Laugh Laugh x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

I enjoy entertaining children as a clown and when I have a gig for someone with coulraphobia, I go light on the makeup and use the "veil of invisibility". No complaints yet...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did that too, actually. Several of the "creepy clown" types were being spotted in my community, and I didn't want panicky drivers calling into the cops while I was driving to my gig yesterday. So I went light auguste. Still very clown-y, but not necessarily panic inducing. (I also ended up talking to more people than usual, because nothing defuses a "creepy clown" meme faster than actually talking to people.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

First , scary clowns to me are not real clowns. True clowns to me are there to show the art, talent,of bringing smiles and laughs to people. Second all true good clowns should do every thing to dis credit the so call scary clowns. In our area good clowns did tv and radios interviews talking about good things clown do. I my self spoke at different organizations about how to choose and hire good clowns. Also durning the big scare time I did a huge parade in our town. The day before I went and spent time with our local police. They were glad I did and we work together and the next day I had a great parade. Along parade route I received a lot of great comments of how nice clown I was and parade watchers had lot of smiles and laugh. So all who clown in nice way keep working on promoting our art of clowning!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

I have done similar. I have spoken to community members and the police at town hall meetings. It appears three fake clown hype has died down now here...thankfully!

9. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

The forever creepy clowns discussion hehe. You know what...all of the 'reasons' are true, people are different so there different reasons to be scared of a clown.
    There are places in the world which are scarier and really dangerous...I've seen something interesting on tv. I've seen children catching big scary spiders in order to eat them (because there is not much food there)...these children are not scared at all.

Everyone has the power in him/herself to be strong and fearless, everyone can learn it and there is much more in children than we think.
    There are not really scary things in the world...we make these 'monsters' ourselves. All this fear is just rejection by others or yourself.

I love the heart of the clown. Think in terms of bringing love and rainbows and peace and happyness in the world. It doesn't help to point fingers.
    True believing is the key. If you truly believe a child is not scared of you, or you're not scary yourself they won't be. Bring the loving energy when you're clowning and designing your make-up. Don't forget your heart! :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. adagiofrazzle

adagiofrazzle New Member

Pinkie pie is a very scary person though. But also, a real clown.
    society is afraid of happiness. That is why they cling to their ancient false beliefs and dogmas. it is the law of energy and efficiency. human society as hamsters in a wheel.

one must ask if any lives matter. the only lives that matter are lives that are devoted to science, higher understanding of existence, or increasing pleasure of the organisms. as a clown, you have a goal to increase the pleasure of the organisms. therefore, the equation is correct: Clown lives do matter (except the ones that are both unfunny and unphilosophical.)