1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clown Forum moving to new software!

Discussion in 'Events and Announcements' started by The Princess of Bozonia, Mar 17, 2016.

1. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Hello all! You may have noticed my somewhat conspicuous absence from the forum lately; I've had some pretty bad computer problems, with both of my laptops repeatedly failing (on the same day, even) until I finally had to get a new one. I'm still adjusting to it, but I've managed to get some work done on the new version of the forum I've been planning for quite some time now.

Basically, the forum platform we're running now is quite outdated, and there are security problems and compatibility problems that are getting worse over time. (You only have to click on the Laugh button to see the evidence of that... plus the chat room no longer works for me at all.) I don't like the newer versions of this software, so rather than upgrade on this platform we're moving the whole lock, stock, and barrel to a forum platform called XenForo. By all accounts it should be pretty fast and user-friendly, and there will be a working Laugh button!

Your accounts should transfer over fully, and for most people there's nothing you need to do besides put up with some downtime. But as it currently stands, I'm not sure the Gallery section of this site can be ported over exactly as it is, or even at all. I'm still looking through the various plug-ins to see if there's anything analogous. (Your User Albums should transfer over, though.) So if you have anything in the Gallery section that you no longer have on your computer, now would be a good time to download it. And you might want to make backup copies of your User Albums just in case.

Also.. I still haven't figured out the new templating system or gotten a new design done, so the forum might look somewhat plain for a while.

The chat room will be new also. Please note I have it set to run rather slowly until we see how much server resources it uses, but since it will no longer be Flash based there should be no more connectivity problems. And I suspect the best part for many people will be the fact that it can be accessed through mobile phones. :) We tried out the new chat room last Thursday and everybody seemed to like it.

Right now I expect to make the switch sometime late Friday night. Any questions or concerns?

Now everyone please thank the clowns who have graciously donated to make the purchase of the new software possible!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

As with any major software updates, I suggest having a full backup of the forum in case you need to abandon the update and return to the old system.

3. The Princess of Bozonia

Definitely, Sir Toony. Actually, I have a shell script running every night to take a backup, but I'll make an additional one just after shutting down the boards.

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

All of the old threads will port over?

What about archived private messages?

Or the chatter conversations on profile pages?

Oh, and will I still be able to play Crazy Sleigh and crash Santa?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Will there be cookies waiting for all in the new forum? Are you going to have it fumigated to keep the Cooties out or are Cooties allowed in the new form as well? lol Gotta love the chats in the Chat room! Cooties and Cookies for all!!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. The Princess of Bozonia

Well, obviously it didn't happen tonight: I'm still trying to get the Thanks and Laughs ported over.

Yes.
    Yes.
    They should, though I haven't tested that yet.
    Um, I'm not sure I can promise that just yet. I did find an arcade plug-in, and it works with the games that were included with it, but I haven't successfully installed new games yet. It's probably some problem dealing with tar archives.

On a related note, would anyone be truly crushed if we ditched the Social Groups? And the Friends list in the user profiles? The Social Groups barely got used, but I think people enjoyed having their friends in the profile.

7. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I was going to say how amazing it was that it looked exactly like the old forum....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. The Princess of Bozonia

Donuts, I'm going to delegate responsibility for the cookies to you. Gather up as many as you can and tote them over! The cooties will probably follow on their own.

9. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Do we have a new ETA for when the upgrade might happen?

10. tim

There were a couple of decent social groups way back when, with maybe a few good conversations.

Frankly, I've never really seen the point of the friends list. I mean, I got excited a few years ago when Pinkberry accepted my request, but we never did exchange any Hanukkah gelt.

11. tim

Alas, sigh, no. Are you sending them direct or to the synagogue? Maybe the mail carrier likes chocolate and has been surreptitiously snacking?

(It sucks being Catholic and trying to celebrate Jewish holidays. I mean, all I ever get is more guilt for Yom Kippur.)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  12. The Princess of Bozonia

Originally I was thinking I'd try again this Friday night, but I won't be able to babysit the new forum over the weekend, so now the plan is for Monday night.

I'd offer you some fresh, homemade challah bread for your Easter table, but it would never make it into the box. ;)

13. The Princess of Bozonia

I wasn't up to the task last night, but I think tonight will do!

14. KageTomari

KageTomari prolific poster....

what are you going to do?

15. Sir Toony Van Dukes

She is going to wave her magic wand and transform the Clown Forum into something new.

16. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

I'm working on the Cookies. For when the Forum switches over to the new server. The Girl scouts said thanks for the inquiry but at this time they could not donate the 1000 boxes of Cookies I asked for but, suggested I see a troop to order them. Ill keep Trying we all need cookies on the new forum server. So far the Chat room over there is looking great. I see the Ball pit and the slide went over already and have been told the plumbers are almost done with the plumbing for the jacuzzi and the spray hoses to clean up from the random Pie fights that break out. Outlets have been put in place for the blanket forts and Cotton candy machines. Now Just A reminder we don't want the broken door that kicks people out that can stay in the old one. So please give me a heads up so I can Set off the bug bomb so the Cooties don't follow us over. Thanks for everything Princess I know this has been a ton of work for you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I guess it didn't happen last night....

18. The Princess of Bozonia

No, sorry, by the time I had everything ready it was really too late to get started. Trying again tonight... I definitely want to get this done before the next Chat.

19. Sir Toony Van Dukes

The new forum looks wonderful... April Fools...

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  20. The Princess of Bozonia

It turned out that all the setting up and testing I was doing blocked the import of the old threads, posts, and members. So I have to uninstall and reinstall it again, then do the import. Put on your crash helmets, everyone!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1