1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clown Forum Code of Ethics

Discussion in 'The Clown Café' started by Dynamo, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

I know there is already an international/national Clown Code of Ethics. But because of a few threads I have been reading recently, I think we need a "Clown Forum" Code of Ethics. It will be good if we can all work on it together. Everyone post at least one statement that you think should be included in our Code of Ethics. While the statements are being listed, we will discuss over the statements. One we feel we have enough statements, we will give it to the administrators for approval. That way we will all have a Code of Ethics to follow so we will make a big happy family.

(Please no pie throwers)

1. I will respect each member for their religion.

2. twiglet

twiglet Banned

2. I will not act like a self-righteous twit and create a thread to make rules for people, when I'm not a moderator and don't even have seniority around here.

There, list finished.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
    • Groan Groan x 3
  3. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

#3: I am an ADMINISRATOR, and this thread will be kept in good taste. I will fix the language that has been used in this thread, so it is more appropriate for this forum. and will not tolerate it again. Posting here is a privledge and not a right. And I am willing to remove the posters.
    We do our best to keep this place happy, friendly, and Low key. If you have a problem with this, Go play elsewhere.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  4. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Alright, I'll do the admin thing here.

I understand where Dynamo is coming from.

*** For the record it is past time to update the international code of ethics. A similar document but one I appreciate more is called the Clown Creed 2000. (Do a Google search.)

Having some understanding of Twiglet's style of communication and sense of humor, I can see the direction she has staked out.

One is headed to the left and the other to the right and where they meet they meet with a large release of energy. I will edit some language but I don't intend to delete the post. Dynamo did ask for posts to be civil, pro or con.

So lets change direction a little so that it might be easier to be objective. Lets take a look at the "Clown Code of Ethics" and offer suggestions about what might be improved. Keep in mind that the finished product doesn't need to look at all like the list we are starting with.

The Clown Code of Ethics

1. I will keep my act, performance and behavior in good taste while I am in costume and makeup. I will remember, at all times, that I have been accepted as a member of the clown community; to provide others, principally children, with clean clown-comedy entertainment. I will remember that a good clown entertains others by making fun of him/herself and not at the expense or embarrassment of others.

2. I will apply my makeup in a professional manner and will provide my own costume. I will carry out my appearance and assignment for the entertainment of others and not for personal gain or publicity when performing for either the National Organization or Local Alley Events. I will always try to remain anonymous while in makeup and costume as a clown, though there may be circumstances when it is not reasonably possible to do so.

3. I will abstain from drinking alcoholic beverages, ingesting illegal drugs or smoking prior to or while in clown makeup and costume. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady at all times; neither molesting nor interfering with other acts, events, spectators or individuals.

4. I will remove my makeup and change into my street clothes as soon as possible following my appearance, so that I cannot be associated with any incident which may be detrimental to the good name of clowning.

5. While appearing in makeup and costume I will carry out the directives of the producer or his/her designated deputies. I will abide by all performance rules without complaint in public.

6. I will do my very best to maintain the best clown standards of makeup, costuming, properties, and comedy.

7. I will appear in as many clown shows as I can.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

4. I will not use any inappropriate words when posting.

• Laugh Laugh x 2
    • Groan Groan x 2
  6. V

V Well-Known Member

I tried to begin this post with an acknowledgment of understanding for such codes and rules, but that would have been a lie. So instead, I'll try to give as earnest a reply as I can without defacing these sorts of standards that some people seem to hold so dear.

I complain about censorship in a lot of my posts; as many as I can I suppose, and I find that these sort of rules and codes posses a fair amount of temerity and divisiveness even though they supposedly exist to form a degree of cohesion.

I could make a long winded post (and still may) about my contempt for such guidelines, but instead will present some arguments that come to mind.

I know there is already an international/national Clown Code of Ethics[...]

I know this probably comes from one clown association or another: WCA, COAI
    Neither of those do I belong, nor have desire to belong to. At one time I was a card carrying member of FCC, but only for a season and I let my membership lapse. I'd thought I would get along with a group of clowns that shared my faith, but I found myself inactive and rarely read through their publications. Sharing faith and sharing ideas on entertainment don't seem to align in mine own eyes, so it's not likely I'll join another.

Back to point... I find it presumptuous that anyone cane tell another what a clown should be. Arguments will arise saying that they don't, but certainly rules exist for a reason, as well as competitions and the like to award what each group thinks a clown should be. There are countless posts here where members come together and say a clown is only as good as their audience (or the like) and show disdain towards any member who may try to define, in black and white, what another should do with their own clown. I find it funny, that people will do exactly what they oppose here simply because they have to pay a membership fee and get a magazine in the mail every month or two. If that's all it takes, I'll gladly offer up critiques for all of you, and send you out a publication.... for a small annual fee.

1. I will keep my act, performance and behavior in good taste while I am in costume and makeup. I will remember, at all times, that I have been accepted as a member of the clown community; to provide others, principally children, with clean clown-comedy entertainment. I will remember that a good clown entertains others by making fun of him/herself and not at the expense or embarrassment of others.

This goes along with Dynamo's quote from above. Who will decide what is in good taste and how we should maintain ourselves when entertaining? One of the above organizations? Thanks, but I'll pass...

By most accounts, Tommy Cooper was a complete bastard... He was a hilarious one if so and though he wore no make-up and many wouldn't recognize him as a proper clown, that's exactly what he was. He had a great act and a funny character. If you don't know who he is, go watch a video of him now and you're not likely to regret it.

On a more modern performer, Hilby is as funny as they come and he makes mockery or his spectators all the time, and most of them love him for it. Technically, he's a variety performer, but also as close to a character clown as they come.

3. I will abstain from drinking alcoholic beverages, ingesting illegal drugs or smoking prior to or while in clown makeup and costume. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady at all times; neither molesting nor interfering with other acts, events, spectators or individuals.

Why? Some great clowns and comedians were smokers and some were drinkers. It's probably a good idea not to molest folks in the audience, I'll give you that one. Anyone remember the infamous thread about squirting flowers? Barry revealed some humor around that time that many might be considered molesting by some standard. I think I remember Barry even confessing as much but you know what? Barry B. Daft is one of the few clowns on this site that I would pay to see perform. It's a shame there is an ocean betwixt us, but with any luck I may get to see him live one day.

Pee-Wee Herman is as much a clown as any of us and the actual character of Pee-Wee was never really meant to be primarily a kid's entertainer, but he fell into a lot of money to make him so. He's now on stage in his true calling doing an adult friendly show - grey suit, bow-tie and all...

5. While appearing in makeup and costume I will carry out the directives of the producer or his/her designated deputies. I will abide by all performance rules without complaint in public.

I think you disagree with performance rules before you sign on. Have an issue with it? Don't do the gig. If you sign on anyway, don't complain at all. If they change the rules on you after you sign, then by all rights you can complain anywhere you want. Bending the knee and then complaining after will win you nothing.

6. I will do my very best to maintain the best clown standards of makeup, costuming, properties, and comedy.

Again, subjective. See above.

All these address a "clown community" at large. On the clown forum itself, do we not all ready have rules? Scruffy has a sticky about spamming and someone has gone through the trouble to add a FAQ section here with forum rules. Are to add more? and then more?
    We have an ignore feature for members who don't get along. We have the option to not read threads that we don't like. We can, hopefully, even have adult discussions and debate about topics across all categories, though I really begin to wonder if this is true within this community. You can find posts all over of people who don't like one another, and also the attacks each makes on the other. Most try to be facetious but are simply opinionated and petty, the response is defensiveness and a cry for moderation.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
  7. twiglet

twiglet Banned

Well gosh, clutch my pearls and gasp in horror! Someone writing like an adult in a forum populated by adults. How dare that happen. (Cue the mods making a locked post about "what do we do about hurrrr?")

Jolly Well phrases it much more eloquently, but the author of the Clown Code of Ethics can stick it. That list of rules has precisely zero relevance to the historical role of the clown, or theatrical clowns. It's a list of rules to keep kids' entertainers employed. Are birthday parties and lets-brainwash-kids-into-Christianity sessions all that matter to you people? (Don't bother answering -- I already know this forum's definition of "clown" is about as deep as a papercut.)

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
    • Groan Groan x 1
  8. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Go read the clown creed 2000. It is entirely different!
    Sara K.

9. Alex

Alex ...much nicer in person!!!

Rule number 7.
    I will give Alex money every week. (Nothing under $20 will be accepted)

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
    • Groan Groan x 1
  10. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

and double his salary for Knute.

rule number 8.
    I will not groan at a comment just because it might step on my toes, or point out that i in fact don't know everything. I will look at the validity, and if a comment is made in utter stupidity, then it may deserve a groan.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Groan Groan x 2
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  11. Alpha Clown

Alpha Clown New Member

Really bad idea I feel, conforming to set rules to clown or even talk clowning, how the clown/person would grow in skill with a do it only or else way set of rules. Boring.

1. who’s taste, wouldn’t that be a logistics thing? subject to interoperation and always once in a while its just icing on cake to bring out self awareness and with that realization comes embarrassment, if or not a person is on the stage or that person gets that same realization of there own habits in there seat.

2 what’s wrong with personal gain and publicity.

3. I do agree with not interfering with other acts.

4. its not like I am going to take a walk searching for a clown gig, it would be to easy to I.D. me at location, would be busted for sure.

5. Give me a start time, and a time allotment and my marks on stage clear, easy to find.

6. Logistics’ again.

7. If the price is right

12. Squire

Squire New Member

Iwill no longer use the term "old fart" to describe my 84 year old moosecamp roommate. The reason for this is so that i do not offend the older peopel on the forum.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  13. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

I will not post negligence from being jealous of someone else.

14. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

Okay guys and gals. It is looking good while still in transaction. So far we have the following:

1. I will respect each member for their religion.

2. I will not use any inappropriate words when posting.

3. I will not post negligence from being jealous of someone else.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

15. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. SCOOP

SCOOP Ace Reporter

dynamo we are friends and i hope this doesn't change this but
    if number 1 is you will respect others religions you have to also respect other peoples lack of religion. or choice not to be religious.
    #2 i am against most types of censorship however i do feel that inappropriate language in public places should kept to a minimum. i swear more then most but not in clown.i am trying to stop that. it may be considered adult language. but a true adult should be able to get a point across with out lowering themselves to such words. i don't watch much stand up anymore as the f-bomb gets dropped so much and really is the only thing that people seem to be laughing at not the true context of the shtick at hand but the language and that is just sad. let me put it this way red skelton from what i heard could tell some raunchy jokes but never did he do that on stage and like it or not while on this forum we are on stage. any one that can use a computer can see what we are talking about there is no adult only section and we do have teen aged members. to say curse words out loud at your screen is one thing to type then read what you said and then send it shows some immaturity and i am sure i am as guilty as anyone for it in the past as i said i am working on it
    and 3 about jealousy. some critiques can be quite insulting and you do feel like your being attacked. so ignore them but listen to true critique's even the insulting ones might have a flash of suggestion that might really work for you. yeah it is nice to read things like nice great good job and it stinks to read you stink and other insults but neither are really helpful. my guess is if you like it not much to change but if you don't like it tell me why and what you would do differently i love being able to help others with any problems and give my suggestions and opinions but i am far from knowing it all as i still need allot of help and my ears are wide open on anything.

the code of conduct you can choose to follow it or not as jolly said it is like signing a contract you either agree or you disagree with the terms and those codes are for the clown organisations and competitions.

oh i wanted to comment on knutes groan button rule
    here is the thing i think we need another button that is simple a dislike/disagree button as lets face it in the joke section some jokes are posted to get a groan and in our line of work if your going for the groan it is as good as a laugh. but on the forum that is not the case
    s

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  17. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

Yes there are guidlines that i believe should be followed in clowning, but to me the biggest thing to remember is you must stay true to your character!! Honestly this is the case in and out of make up!!

18. Alex

Alex ...much nicer in person!!!

Expanding on Gizmo's thought, let me bring in some basic acting "techniques" and guidelines ...
    Don't act; BE.
    Your audience is not stupid. They can see right through your fake smile and voice. If you are not sincere, you will be an unsuccessful performer.
    Be in the moment.
    Suppose you sneaked out of the house and are returning past curfew. You open the door slowly and manage to do it without making noise. Now, you step in and the floor and it creeks. You can't just keep walking without noticing that giant CREEEEEEEK. React!

Alex

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  19. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

thanks alex!! next rule support each other...i mean we are here because we have somthing in common!!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

Scoop, that is why I started this thread in the first place. I wanted others to give their opinions too. That way it could all come to an understanding. I appreciate other members giving their serious thought, not jokes. I feel sorry what Princess has to put up with after all she has done for us.
    If everyone will respect each other for their beliefs, I can see no bickering occurring in the Clown Forum from someone being prejudice. If a person does not have enough control to follow that rule, I can easily see why the Clown Forum would not be for them. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying everyone should praise each other for their religion or beliefs, but I am saying keep out any negative remarks just because someone else believes differently. Personally, I am friends with people of different religions. But if the religion deals with "hate", I will refuse to be friends with that person.

I am against inappropriate language too in the Clown Forum. I am sure the administrators are also. I have no idea why someone had the nerves to use that type of language earlier in this thread. I am glad Scruffy edited her post. If I had the control, I would have banned that one person because "Dynamo don't play that". Specifically, that one person it not really a clown. I heard she is really a comedian who wants to lurk in our forum.

Scoop, I agree with you 100%. To be honest, I was already ahead of you. I want to give alot of thanks to the jealous ones. They are my powerful motivators. I probably would not be as far as I am with clowning if it was not for them. When I entered this forum I was getting a lot of critiques thinking I should/could not be a clown. It motivated to prove to them a black cow could give white milk and eat green grass. So I put more harder and quicker work in my goal. I did mention I purchased a unicycle earlier this year. If the jealous ones would have gave me insults mentioning I could not ride it, I would have been able to ride it by now. Too bad they did not criticize me about that. I wish they would so I can prove they are wrong.

Thanks for the support, Scoop, but I am already used to it. Year 2008 when I started posting in the "The Side Walk Shuffle" forum of the Magic Cafe, alot of members did not think I could be a street busker doing magic because of my dress style. They criticized me for my clothes. I did not want to wear a derby or leather vest. I went thru a lot of up and downs with those members my first months in that part of The Magic Cafe. They did not know the more they criticized me, the more they motivated me. Shortly after wards I had many of those members biting their tongues. One of the professional street buskers who thought I could not do it at the start (Danny Hustle) ended up saying the following about me: (second post on page 2) The Magic Cafe Forums - Getting an Audience

And, Scoop, the second line I mentioned so far in the Clown Forum's Creed is from me paying attention to what was posted from one of the jealous ones. I did not like her using inappropriate language. That is what gave me the clue. If she would not of posted it, it would not have came to my mind. And the same thing with the third line. If the jealous ones would not have been posting negligence towards my post, it would not have came to my mind.

That is why I want to keep it simple and general. Remember, I am not suggesting the Clown Forum Creed deals with anything as of being or dressing as a clown. It just deals with ways we all should keep the Clown Forum clean with our post. Princess and the volunteer administrators deals with alot of work in keeping it all together. I see no reason why we should make it harder for them. If we had a creed in general, I can see it will help make their volunteer work easier. And if the creed was followed, it would help stop the bickering between members. For those would not want to keep it happy, friendly, and Low key, I agree with Scruffy, "If you have a problem with this, Go play elsewhere."