1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clown Communion

Discussion in 'Church and Ministry Clowning' started by Pinky Shortcakes, May 18, 2008.

1. Dusty B

Dusty B Hobo Clown At Large

I wouldn't think it would be to hard to adapt. The innocence of the Hobo in the skit should translate well to the innocence of a young girl. Just kinda play it as a little child finding the bag and getting told the story. Innocence is innocence. Maybe change the "Do de do" to something more childlike and feminine, maybe "la la la".

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Dusty B

Many churches don't seem to truly believe that God can use all things. Baptists especially seem to take themselves way too seriously. (Please understand that I speak from experience, being raised in a small Southern Baptist Church.) Maybe if they saw that video, they'd realize that even clowns can have their place in Church functions. Rather than having the clown be the representation of humor, in this case, the Clown is the representation of child-like innocence.

3. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

Now, you can't generalize baptists here.. just because southern baptists are stiff collared uptight people.. you can't just say "baptists" I'm american baptist and we are pretty open minded about alot of stuff.. we wear shorts and jeans to church.. we even sing praise and worship music.. oooh and ive done clown stuff as a part of services several times.. so just because southern baptists are spoil sports you can't catagorize all baptists as such :D thanks for your time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pippi

Pippi New Member

can anyone tell me the name of the song please?????

5. Sir Pops-Alot

Sir Pops-Alot New Member

The song is named "My Jesus I love thee" it was written as a poem by William R. Featherston in 1864 (He was only 16 at the time). It was put to music in 1876 byAdoniram J Gordon.

It is a great traditional hymn, if your Church uses a hymnal it is probably in it. My church uses "Hymns of Glorious Praise" it is #40 in it.
    I think this skit would be great accompanied by a live choir singing the hymn.

6. Pippi

Pippi New Member

thanks, I just keep looking at it on a computer that has no sound! I am at work and when I go home I keep forgetting to check it out. Thanks again!
    Pippi

7. Pippi

Pippi New Member

Ok, so I listened to it with sound finally...I wanted to cry too. I have one more question. would it work with a bottle of grape juice?? Not so sure my childlike character should be drinking wine, and we do juice at my church anyway. What do you guys think?

8. Happy Chappy & Daisy

Happy Chappy & Daisy Well-Known Member

My 2c...

Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper during the Passover. Most religious groups (at least, those I have knowledge of) use unleavened bread of one size and shape or another because that's what was used then. During the Passover celebration, the ancient Jews removed all the leaven (yeast) from the house.

However, what makes grape juice turn into (alcoholic) wine? Yeast. When they removed all the leavened bread, they also removed all the leavened wine; all that would have been used would have been grape juice.

Many writers have pointed out that the word "wine" in both ancient Hebrew (yayin) and Greek (oinos) refer to any grape product, from grapes still on the vine to raisins to grape juice. However, neither word is used in reference to Communion; the Bible instead always uses the term "fruit of the vine." I'd be more likely to question the propriety of using fermented wine in communion.

9. Pippi

Pippi New Member

wow...talk about breaking the mold...communion with raisins? that would actually be kinda cool. I will propose that to my pastor. The point of this particular sunday is how to do communion in new and different ways...So, Thanks!!! I have a feeling for this particular skit though...Juice Box, here I come!!!!! I guess that would keep with the childish theme a bit more anyway. I am so grateful for all the feedback!

10. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

There was a Catholic parish in Chicago which once tried doing some sort of raisin bread communion service or para-liturgy. That didn't fly real well with the bishop.

Juice box? With a straw? I'll be there!!!

11. Pippi

Pippi New Member

well sure, I am supposed to be a little girl...a bottle of wine, or what people think is wine does not seem appropriate to me. Besides, what Happy Chappy and Daisy said about the levening process makes total sence to me. And with this particular skit, I would just be reversing things...that loaf of breat definatally has leveing! Not sure if it will work out to use the juice box, but if ya are going to be in portland, oregon the first week of October...you are welcome to come and see whatever I come up with!

12. tim

And here I thought that they must have been drinking Manischewitz!

13. Darrell

Darrell Well-Known Member

I think you just generalized southern baptists. Most Southern Baptists (including me) are very serious about Communion and are not "stiff collared" or "spoil sports." It is a very serious ceremony if you follow the Bible literally. First, one must be a believer and was instructed if he had sin, to confess before he participated in the ceremony (1 Corinthians 11:29).

I'm not trying to preach, but explain why a church would think having a clown doing Communion as unthinkable. My own church would never do this.

14. Dusty B

Two main points...one, the clown isn't "doing" Communion, merely illustrating the story. The pastor can "do" Communion following the skit. Two, the ceremony most "Gentile" churches know as "Communion" was originally meant to be part and parcel of the Passover dinner, not a separate ceremony. I guess it's because we "Gentiles" don't celebrate passover as to why it's now a separate ceremony for us.

On another note, I like how you say "a church would think having a clown doing Communion <w>as unthinkable". Kinda hard to think of something that is unthinkable. :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Dusty B

I do follow the Bible literally, just not Paul. I follow Christ. I mean, why bother with the Epistles when you have the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to tell you what Christ said and did? Why do we need Paul to tell us what to do if we have what Christ HIMSELF said to do? Since Christ Himself didn't say confession was necessary before Communion, I don't worry about it. Besides, confession without true repentance is useless. **(But that's another topic for another time, and has nothing whatsoever to do with clowns or clowning. Not trying to start an off-topic discussion, just my own personal view of things.)**

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. tim

I would have considered that concept inconceivable - until you conceived of it!

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  17. Rainbow D. Clown

Rainbow D. Clown New Member

Well, I'm Southern Baptist. I'm going to do this on Oct 11. My congregation and my Pastor doesn't know it yet, but I am. Here's the thing. If my Pastor ok's me to clown (and he has) to share the gospel, how can he put a boundary on what part of the gospel I can share through clowning. Clowns are characters with a type of personality that can deliver practical messages, but we can also deliver some very deep messages. Personal messages. The messages that we, ourselves recieved from our Personal Messenger. I suppose if my Pastor or congregation are offended by my sharing God's word and His blessing, then, I suppose that's something I'll deal with in one way or another through His guidance. You see, although I'm Southern Baptist, I'm spiritual, not religious. Who knows, maybe I'm not Southern Baptist afterall. But there will be no doubt that I'm a Christian!

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  18. Pippi

Pippi New Member

Hey Rainbow,
    read my just amazing post...I did this skit yesterday and it was so amazing! Good luck...or should I say God Luck!

19. Rainbow D. Clown

Rainbow D. Clown New Member

I had already read it and it's inspiring. I'm starting a clown troupe at my church and that's exactly the response we are looking for in delivering His message. "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Mark 10:15 Thank you for sharing!

20. Dusty B

I, myself, have long since shed any designation other than "Christian." I've come to realize that, while I disagree with 99% of modern Christian churches on a few "key" issues, I still feel lead to share the Communion skit with those churches that will have me. So, (thanks to the aforementioned "Amazing" post) to that end, I've started contacting different churches in my area and asking if any of them are open for an "audition" of the skit.

I'm considering changing my hobo clown's name to Ernest Blessings rather than Dusty Blessings. "Ernest" has nice connotations and can be in place of my "Ernie the Fire Safety Clown" character while still paying homage to the real Ernie. I'd still like to keep my online name as Dusty B, tho. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1