1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clown/circus movies and shows

Discussion in 'The Clown Café' started by KageTomari, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Keekipoo

Keekipoo Active Member

Yeah, I can name more than just four movies with scary clowns without really thinking. It's the non-scary clowns that are definitely more difficult to think of when it comes to movies.

Speaking of which, Indecisive, have you seen Trading Mom? Is it any good?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Olaf89

Olaf89 New Member

:oops:I don't think I've ever seen a movie with a clown that doesn't have the "evil" cliche.

what's the best place to start?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

Patch Adam's, Clown and The Kid, Shakes the Clown, and Red Skelton in the movie The Clown.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. KageTomari

KageTomari prolific poster....

sounds so cool im going to look it up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. KageTomari

i want to watch 3 Ring Circusbut i can't find it anywhere
    and aaww a clown dance so cute

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. KageTomari

oh yes how could i forget , that movie was really funny

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. KageTomari

umm s sorry this is for friendy clowns/circus movies

9. KageTomari

really? well theres Cirque du Soleil Alegría the Filmits about a sweet little clown that saves alot of kids from a evil guy who was haveing them work & work & work and hit them

10. Keekipoo

Keekipoo Active Member

I've found the beginning of this thread to be a pretty darn good spot to start when looking for non-scary clowns. :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Olaf89

Olaf89 New Member

I know, but there's so much choice! any recommendations on what to watch first?

12. Keekipoo

Keekipoo Active Member

I'd suggest the first one you can find. :) The first title that really piques your interest, perhaps.

13. Fifi D. Clown

Fifi D. Clown Well-Known Member

Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton were awesome clowns, although they probably didn't call themselves clowns.

14. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Although Shakes the Clown is the most non flattering movie I have seen, the freak in me thinks its bust a gut funny one. Its about a a bunch of alcoholic clowns that hate mines and do some really not clown things like drink at the clown bar in costume and smoke.

Its Not scary unless people think that's what clowns do in their off time defintly not for the kiddies. Haven't seen it in a few years but Bobcat Goldwaite starred as Shakes.

another good one is The Simpsons when ever Crusty is the star he has some great lines.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Clownfanboy123

Clownfanboy123 New Member

Might as well keep an eye out for them

16. Mongo The Clown

Mongo The Clown Active Member

Oh ho-ho-ho! Oh that is quite a movie! I saw it a few years ago and it was NOT what I expected. To this day I'm not sure whether to be amused or traumatized. I guess both- I'm Traumused. But yea, I suppose it counts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

I watch Steven Kings IT because I like to practice my Pennywise impersonation for those special moments when I run into Coulrophobia's while in Clown.

18. Keekipoo

Keekipoo Active Member

I love how the scary and unsettling klown movies are all practically generics, like IT and Shakes. I've much creepier movies in mind, but I honestly thought this thread was for the nice clowns, so I haven't said much due to not really knowing many.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. KageTomari

it is for nice clowns

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

Shakes The Clown is one of my all time favorite movies. It's not a scary movie - more of a parody playing on the "drunk clown" stereotype. I found it on amazon for like $9 so I own it. It has Bobcat Goldthwait, Blake Clark, and was one of Adam Sandler's first movies. It also has cameos from Florence Henderson, and features Robin Williams as a Mime Instructor. People write this off as a stupid comedy (which it is) but it has quite an impressive cast, especially considering that it only had a $1.4M budget according to IMDB.

A few of my other favorites are

The Greatest Show on Earth - Directed by Cecil B. Demille and starring Jimmy Stewart, Charlton Heston, and Betty Hutton, and actually follows RBBB back in the 50s and features a lot of the real performers, the train, etc.

Clowning Around - which was linked to Youtube on an earlier page in this thread. It was a miniseries from the early 90s that follows Simon, an Australian teenager who jumps from foster home to foster home and has dreams of being a circus clown. It follows his journey of learning the art of clown from washed up, grumpy, retired famous french clown turned school teacher Anatole. Through helping Simon, Anatole re-discovers his own love of clowning and circus.

Clowning Around 2 - sequel to Clowning Around which follows Simon to Montreal where he tries to join a struggling Montreal circus who is about to be shut down due to budget cuts.

These two movies are two of my favorites and were very influential to me becoming a clown. My public library had them both on VHS around the time that I was really becoming interested in clowning, (when I was 8 or 9) and even though each one is over 3 hours long, I'd sit and watch them over and over. I've not been able to find them on DVD, but if I did I would definitely buy them. Unfortunately, the pirated Youtube version is currently probably the best way to watch them.

Another good one which isn't necessarily a kid's movie is Little Big Top - An aging out of work clown returns to his small hometown, resigned to spend the rest of his days in a drunken stupor. But when his passion for clowning is reawakened by the local amateur circus he finds his smile.

This movie's main character Seymour is played by Sid Haig of "Captain Spaulding" fame from the Rob Zombie movies. He trades in his scary character for a (slightly) less scary look. He is only in makeup for a few seconds at the end of the movie and is in plain clothes as he teaches clowning to some amateur performers.

The cool thing about this movie is that it takes place in Peru, Indiana, which is where the Circus Hall of Fame is. The town used to be a big circus wintering community, and the whole town is circus themed. The movie centers around the real life Peru Amateur Circus. (Although, I'm sure some artistic license has been taken) This is definitely an indy movie, and if you're not either a circus geek like me, or able to follow slower movies, you may get bored (my wife did), but I thought it was a great movie.

A lighter hearted "cute" circus movie is The First of May - It stars Mickey Rooney. An unwanted boy and a forgotten old lady find running away to join the circus is really coming home.

This is definitely a "feel good" movie. It's rated G and is the type of movie that I would've watched with my grandparents when I spent the night as a kid. It has a bit of a cheesy Halmark feel to it, but I do own it, and I enjoyed it. I ran across it at Family Christian Bookstore, and I couldn't pass up a movie with a big top and ring master on the front that wasn't Veggie Tales. Even though it came from Family Christian, it's not a religious movie. I'm sure it has some faith based themes present, but they aren't obvious. It just has a positive message. It's definitely worth a watch.

Of course also the more modern big box office movie Water for Elephants Not really a clown movie, but it is a circus movie and gives a good inside look at the carnies and circus trains of yesteryear, even gives a little bit of insight into carny talk and the vernacular of the circus.

These are a few that I can think of off the top of my head. All of them are worth at least 1 watch, and some of them 20 or 30.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015