1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a Clown Name

Discussion in 'Clowning Tutorials' started by Sassafras, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras New Member

How to Choose a Clown Name

Those who become clowns very often take new names, sometimes referred to as "stage names," now that they are starting a new life as clowns. With so many new clowns entering the world, it is much more difficult to find a clown name which would be unique to each person. Still, if you play the SPIELMAN BROS. "CLOWN NAME SAME" here, you should be able to find a name that belongs only to you!

VOWELS: Addition or subtraction. One quick way of getting a clown name is to add or subtract a vowel to the beginning or end of your first, second, or surname. The vowels O and Y are the most commonly used by clowns. For example: O-JIM, JIMMO, JIMMY, CATHY, CATH, etc. Remember, use A, E, I, and U if O and Y do not satisfy you.

BACKWARDS: Spell your name backwards. If this new spelling pleases you, use it: PUDEXIM (MIXEDUP), KRAM (MARK), DUB (BUD), NAMLIEPS (SPEILMAN), SNOP (PONS), etc.

DICTIONARY: Read through the dictionary for ideas. Start with the "Z's", "A's", or somewhere in the middle: ZAMA, ZAMIA, ZANY (a clown), Y (or WHY), YAPPER, YIPE, WHEELO, WHEEZO, WIGGLY, WINDY, etc.

TELEPHONE BOOK: Looking through the telephone directory may give you ideas on a name most comfortable for you. (One singer chose his stage name, "Darin," from the telephone book, then recorded "Splish-Splash"--he wrote this is 12 minutes--and became a teen-age idol in 1958.)

DREAMS: Choose a name you wish you could have received at birth.

INTELLIGENCE: Use an expression of intelligence like SMARTY, DUMMY, WIZO, WISE, SHARPEE, KRAZY, TINK (for "THINK"), etc.

NUMBERS: Try using a number for your name or add a number to one of your names. For example, ZERO, DUO, UNO, EINS (ONE), TWENTY-TWO (or use your age at the time you started in the art of CLOWNING), ONE-0-ONE (101), JOHN-TWO, GEORGE-EIGHT, MARY-FIVE, etc.

MINERALS: Name yourself after one of the minerals, such as COPPER, ALUMINUM, ARSON, BARIUM, BISMUTH, BORON, BROMINE, CARBON, COBALT, FLUORINE, FRANCIUM, GALLIUM, GALENA, GOLDEE, IRON, PYRITE, MERCURY, NEON, NICKEL, RADON, SILVER, SODIUM, URANIUM, TIN, ZINC, ZIRCONIUM, etc.

PLANTS: Some clowns like to name themselves after plants or their by-products. Examples are ABACA, ACORN, AGAR, AGAVE, ALDER, ALFALFA, ALLIUM, ALMOND, AMBER, ANISE, APPLE, APRICOT, ARTICHOKE, ASPARAGUS, ASPEN, ASPERGILLUS, AVOCADO, BALM, BALSAM, BAOBAB, BARBASCO, BARBERRY, BARLEY, BASIL, BEANS (or BEANIE), BEECH, BETEL, BETULA, BIRCH, BLUEBERRY, BOMBILLA, BOYSENBERRY, BRAZILNUT, BROCCOLI, BROMUS, BUCKWHEAT, BURLAP, CABBAGE, CANTALOUPE, CARAWAY, CARROTS, CATTAIL, CEDAR, CEREALS, CHILI, CHIVES, CHOCOLATE, CINNAMON, CHARCOAL, COLA, DAISY, DILL, EBONY, ELDERBERRY, ELM, FERN, FICUS, FILBERT, FLAX, FLOUR, FRANGULA, FRAXINUS, GERANIUM, GINGER, GLYCERIN, GOOSEBERRY, HEMLOCK, HENNA, HICKORY, HONEY, HORSERADISH, HOMINY, HUCKLEBERRY, INCENSE, INDIGO, INGA, IODINE, IRIS, ISATIS, JALAPA, JAMBU, JASMINE, JUNCUS, JUNIPERUS, KARO, LETTUCE, LICORICE, LILAC, LILY, LIME, LOGANBERRY, LOTUS, LUMBER, MAHOGANY, MAIZE, MALT, MAMMEE, MANDRAKE, MANGO, MANIHUT, MAPLE, MELISSA, MELONS, MILO, MOLASSES, MORUS, MULBERRY, MUSTARD, MUSKMELON, NECTAR, NESSBERRY, NUTMEG, OATMEAL, PARSLEY, PARSNIP, PEACHES, PEANUT BUTTER, PEANUTS, PECANS, PEPPERMINT, PICKLES, PIGNOLIA, PIMENTO, PINA, PINEAPPLE, PISTACHIO, PLUMS, POMEGRANATE, POPCORN, POPPY, POTATO, QUERCUS, QUINCE, QUINCA, RADDICHIO, RADISH, RAISINS, RAMA, RASPBERRY, RUBBER, SAFFLOWER, SAGE, SARSAPARILLA, SASSAFRAS, SAUERKRAUT, SEQUOIA, SESAME, SILKY, SOAPBERRY, SORGO, SPINACH, SPRUCE, STARCH, STRAWBERRY, SUGAR, SUMAC, SUNDEW, SUNFLOWER, SWEET PEA, SWEETPOTATO, SYCAMORE, TABASCO, TAMALE, TEABERRY, TEASEED, TIGERNUT, TIMBER, TIMBO, TOMATO, TONGA BEAN, TULIP, TURNIPS, VANILLA, VERBENA, VINEGAR, VIOLET, WALNUT, WILD RICE, YUCCA, ZAMIA, ZAILEY, ZEA, ZINGIBER, ZIZANIA, etc.

ANIMALS: Sometimes the names of animals make good clown names. You can use the names of amphibians, fish, mammals, and reptiles. Examples would be BUTTERFLY, GRASSHOPPER, CRICKET, TERMITE, BLUEJAY, ROOSTER, BIRDEE, LADY BUG, BEE BEE, BUMBLES, BUGSY, BLUEBIRD, BUZZARD, CARDINAL, CEDAR-BIRD, CHICKEN, CRANE, CUCKDO, DUCKEE, FLICKER, FLAMINGO, GOLDEN-EYE, GOLDFINCH, GRACKLE, GREBE, GULL, CHICKEN-HAWK, KINGBIRD, KINGFISHER, LARK, NUTCRACKER, OSPREY, OTUS, OWL-OWL, PARTRIDGE, PEEP-PEEP, PELICAN, SPIDER, SUPER-PIGEON, QUAIL, RAVEN, ROAD-RUNNER, SCOOTER, SEA-PARROT, SKUNKHEAD, SNIPE, SNOWFLAKE, SWIFT-TEE, THRASHER, TOWHEE, TURKEY, VIREO, WARBLER, WAXWING, WHIP-POOR-WILL, WHISTLER, WOODPECKER, YELLOW-LEGS, YELLOWBIRD, YELLOW-HAMMER, YELLOW-THROAT, PANDA, GOPHER, EL BUFO, EL TIGER, POMPON, GRAY GRUNT, RED GROUPER, DOLPHIN, AMBERJACK, POMPANO, BLUE RUNNER, BONITO, BIGMOUTH, BITTERHEAD, BLACKEARS, BLOATER, BLUEBACK, BULLHEAD, CAPITAN, DOLLY VARDEN, DRUMMER, FIDDLER, FLASHER, FLOUNDER, HERRING, LEATHER-EAR, LONGJAW, LONG-EAR, MARLIN, PERRO-PERRO, PETO, PICUDA, PUMPKINSEED, REDEYE, REDMOUTH, SNAPPER, SPRINGER, STEELHEAD, SUNNY, TUMMY, WALLEYE, etc.

LOCATIONS: Occasionally, a clown will take the name of his birthplace, or from a river, lake, etc: CHICAGO RED, NEW YORK JERRY, L.A. TOM, MINNESOTA MARY, PHILADELPHIA PAT, TORONTO GEORGE, RIO, ABO, CALIE, WILLOUGHBY, etc.

MEASUREMENTS: Sizes are used by some to describe the opposite of what they are. If tall, they may go by SHORTY, etc. Other examples are JUMBO, TINY, SKINNY, Mr. TALL, SLIM, BIG DAVE, LITTLE PETE, SKINNY MINNIE, FLABBY, CHUNKY, BEANPOLE, etc.

SHAPES: Once in awhile, a clown will decide to take a name describing a shape. Examples are GYRO, CIRCLE, ROUNDEE, PARABOLA, ROLY-POLY, SQUIGGLE, STAR, BOLT (for a lightning BOLT), etc.

SOUNDS: Often a clown will think about choosing a name that is descriptive of a sound most interesting to him. Examples include ATCHOO (God bless you!), GOO-GOO, BOOM, BABBLES, BANG-BANG, BANGER, SNAP (or SNAPPY), POOF-POOF, TEE HEE, HO-HO, YOWIE, YIPE, QUACK-QUACK, DING-A-LING, TOOT-TOOT, BEEP-BEEP, BEEP-BOP, WIGGLE, etc.

EMOTIONS: Lots of clowns like to create a name for themselves by expressing an emotion whether happy, sad, or funny, like: HAPPY, SORRY, SNEEZY, DELIGHT, SWEETHEART, GIGGLES, GRUMPY, WEEPY, YUMMY, ICKY, NOSEY, NOSEYBEAR, PEPPY, FORGETFUL, BASHFUL, HUGGLES, etc.

FOOD: If you like to eat or cook, choose a name that means food to most of the public. Examples include STRINGBEAN, MUFFIN, BACON, STRAWBARRY (for the name BARRY), PIRI-PIRI (for the hot sauce), TAMALE, DUMPLING, PEANUT BUTTER, JELLY, COCONUT, BLUEBERRY, ONION, COFFEE, PEACHES, PEPO, CHEESY, HEINZ (for the ketchup), PUMPKIN, etc.

SWEETS: Sweet names go over big with the children: CANDY, COOKIE, PIE-PIE, POPSICLE, CREAMY, TAFFY, GOOEY, SUGAR, MUFFIN, TOPPING, CUSTARD, SWEETIEPIE, CINNAMON (for the roll), CHOCOLATE CHIP, BUTTERSCOTCH, etc.

COLORS: When a color is important to you, you may wish to call yourself by that color. For example: INDIGO, PINTO, VIOLET, PINKY, REDDY, RED-RED, ORANGEY, BROWNIE, GREENY, BLACKIE, GRAY-GRAY, SILVER, GOLDEE, etc.

ANATOMY: You may decide that the human anatomy is the best place to look for your name. Such names as FRECKLES, SMILEY, HAIRY, TOE-TOE, CHIN-CHIN, SHIN-SHIN (means "happy"), TWO-LIPS, BIG MOUTH, LONG-EARS, SHORTNOSE, FATS, DIMPLES, etc., will work.

FOREIGN: Sometimes the foreign word for an adjective or noun works well for clown names. You might choose: BEAU ("boe"--French for handsome), BELLE (French for beautiful), JOLIE ("joe-lee"--French for pretty), PETITE ("peh-teet"--French for small), LIEPSCHEN ("leep-shen"--is a German term of endearment), MUSIKA ("moo-see-kah"--Spanish for music), KEIKO ("kay-koe"--means happy child in Japanese), etc.

CLOTHES: Many clowns like to name themselves after clothing. Examples are BUTTONS, ZIPPER, POCKETS, PATCHES, CALICO, BOOTS, BLOOMERS, BELTS, OVERCOAT, COTTON, POLLY-ESTHER (for polyester), RAYON, LYCRA, etc.

GAMES OR TOYS: Name your clown after your favorite game or toy. Try: POLO, YO-YO, TOPPY, BUBBLES, BALLOONS, BRUSHES, MAGICO, RULER, PENCILS, FLASHLIGHT, FLASH-BULBS, PUZZLES, SKIPPS-N-JUMPS, PINOCHLE ("pea-nockle"--a card game), JUMPER (for jumprope), HOPSCOTCH, etc.

WEATHER: A name describing the weather in your area brings recognition. Try: STORMY, WINDY, SUNBEAM, SUNNIE, SUN-HERE, SUNSHINE, SUNRAY, BREEZY, RAINBOW, SNOWFLAKES, HURRICANE, TWISTER, FROSTY, ICY, etc.

DOUBLE NAMES: Self-explanatory. Examples include: WINDY-WINDY, BOOM-BOOM, TOE-TOE, BO-BO, JO-JO, SO-SO, TO-TO, HO-HO, BEE-BEE, ONE-ONE, HAPPY-HAPPY, JOHN-JOHN, JOHN-BOY, MARY-GIRL, HANDY-PANDY, HIPPITY-HOP, etc.

PROFESSIONAL NAMES: Use the title of a profession to form your clown name. You might choose: DR. FUMBLES, NURSE JONES, OFFICER O'HARE (for a Keystone cop), OFFICER NO-HAIR (for a bald cop), PROF. DUM-DUM, MR. WRINKLES, DR. HAPPY, BIOLOGIST JILL, SIR GIBBS, MASTER DONDI, HONORABLE JOKER, LADY BABS, MR. CHUNKS, MRS. BLOOM, MISS SHOOGS, etc.

OUTER SPACE: You can even use the names of objects in our universe. Such examples include: STAR, COMET, CAPT. PLANET, STARDUST, SPHERE, MERCURY, PLUTO, JUPITER, NEPTUNE, MOONLIGHT, ORBIT, etc.

COMPUTERS: Sometimes computer technology lends itself to funny clown names. Examples are: GIGABYTE, MEGABYTE, MOUSE, KEYS (for keyboard), BLIP, BLOOP, ROM, FLOPPY, MATRIX, DOT, etc. (If you wanted to use MEGABYTE, your character could have buck teeth--mega bite!

You may go through several names before you decide on what name best fits you. (COSMO started out as CHUCKO, but was sometimes called CHUCKLES, then went to the name WINDY before deciding on COSMO-COSMO.) FELIX, QUACKY, AND BOOMER are three names that are used for three separate characters by one of the SPIELMAN BROS.)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Violet

Violet Well-Known Member

I am pretty new at this, but my first name attempt was Katie Koo Koo. After thinking about this a bit, I realized living in the South and having even a stage name with the initials KKK might not be well received. My second idea is the name I now have - Katie Gigglesnorts. My real name is Katharine (my friends call me Kathi), but I thought Katie was appropriate. And I do snort sometimes when I giggle too hard! for now I'm going to work on developing Katie's personality and style, but I have other ideas for other characters I would like to create -Georgia Peachy, Chickie Odyssey, Little Bo Pink, Kelly Greenbean. What do you all think about Katie Gigglesnorts – too long?

3. Violet

Violet Well-Known Member

Since I have been working on my costume and my own personal clown "look" and personality, I think I have come up weith the perfect name, but I will hold out for the "reveal"!

4. Anklez

Anklez New Member

My clown name is "Anklez."
    I got the idea because I do balloon animals on stilts, so to little kids, my ankles are at eye level. And I thought it was cute.