1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choo Choo!

Discussion in 'The Business of Clowning' started by V, Nov 9, 2015.

1. V

V Well-Known Member

I'm considering buying a "mall train," which is essentially a modified golf cart with wagons to look like a passenger train. It's trackless so could double as parade, party, & festival duty. Just wondering if anyone owns or has experience with them for insight.

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

No experience, but I know that special care needs to be done for motors that aren't used very often. Gas, batteries, and belts/hoses can have issues when not being used frequently.

3. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

All I'll say is that they sure seem to do good business, whenever I see them used.

4. V

V Well-Known Member

Hopefully it doesn't fall into the category of not being used very often. Intention would be a daily driver via a pay-to-ride mall attraction. Ideally it'd be over use instead of under use maintenance. There's one at a relatively close mall that seems to do pretty well, especially weekends (obviously). I was there with balloons for Santa's arrival Saturday and it was running non-stop basically. I'd say a few hundred riders (@ $3/each). If you could pull $1k every Saturday and half that Saturday - even marginal ridership during the week seems profitable. I obviously don't know numbers, but it has to be a $45k annual business at least (population of town is 220k) and I imagine you could even do well enough in a smaller market.

5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I didn't realize you were actually planning to use it at a mall, I thought that was just how you were calling it so we knew what you were talking about. In that case, you would need to have 2 or 3 trains so that there would still be one at the mall when you needed another for a parade or party.

I am not sure a mall would let you operate a business like that without paying they rent/profit sharing. Locally, most of the trains I have seen are run by or at least sponsored by Chick-Fil-A. I find it funny that the trains run on Sunday when Chick-Fil-A is closed.

Usually, the way to make money with a business is by starting with lots of money and getting enough volume. Running a dozen trains in multiple locations would be cheaper than one train at one location. You would have one mechanic on staff that maintains all of the trains.