1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character or two to one?

Discussion in 'Hospital Clowning' started by krhagan19, Aug 5, 2014.

1. krhagan19

krhagan19 New Member

I am totally new to Clowning, I know nothing but have a huge interest and am willing to learn and currently have lots of time in which to learn it and study it. I want to create a character that can be both a birthday clown full of birthday mirth and also an appropriately joyful but respectful hospital clown for a childrens hospitals. I live in a area with two large childrens hospitals and as a christian clown I think it is very good and a joyful thing to bring happiness to children who are in such a negative environment. Any suggestion is welcome.
    Warmest Regards,
    K.R. Hagan
    P.S. I will change my name to a cool clown name once I pick one!

2. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

If you want to make children happy in hospital (which is a very nice thing!), it's most important you can feel what children want, how far you can go etc. Children in hospitals are very vulnerable, you don't want them to feel even more uncomfortable or even scared. It's in 'normal' clowning already important, but especially in hospitals!
    So try to train feeling how close you can come to people and how much energy you can use and such things. You can do this everyday. Also, hospital clowns usually have not much makeup. Mostly just a nose.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I have been told that some hospitals have more or less a dress code that dictates how a clown can and should look. The dress codes might be about what is easy to clean or it might be out of an idea that kids might be afraid of clowns. That being said, I have seen tons of pictures of Ringling clowns in full costume and makeup do hospital visits. If they can both perform in the circus and visit children in a hospital in the same costume and makeup, it is definitely possible.

I have also been told that some hospitals don't use volunteers as clowns, they have a contract with the Big Apple Circus Clown Care Unit or other organization that provides clowns. While you may have a big heart, the hospital's top priority is their patients (health, privacy, and safety). By working with a group like the Big Apple Circus, they can be sure the clowns who visit have been trained, have had background checks, and have been told all of the rules related to visiting patients.

Typically, a clowns costume and makeup should be designed for the distance they will be when performing for an audience. In a circus, the clown might be 100 yards away from the person sitting in the back row of the stadium. For a performance on a stage, such as in a school, the clown will be 50-100 feet away. In a parade or birthday party, the clown will usually be 10-20 feet away. In a hospital, the clown will be only 5 feet away. The futher away the clown is, the larger things must be (props, expressions, makeup, etc.) The closer they are, the smaller things can be.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea to have two sets of costumes on hand. I typically go full makeup. When I have little time, or when someone specifically asks I tone it down because they have kids who are afraid of clowns, I have a second less involved costume. Personally, I think kids appreciate the full costume more, but I've also never had any complaints with just putting on a nose, some red on the cheeks, a silly hat, and a red vest.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

If there's an alley near you , you might be able to find another clown that does this. I have done it myself. HIPPA is very strict and hospital are more restrictive about who they allow in. Also many children hospital only allow those that have gone through specific training and back ground checks. There are rules/reg. for your protection as well as the child, like clean hands every time you enter and exit a room. Only use props you can either leave or sanitize between people. Hospital acquire infections are the worse you have to do your part not to spread anything. This is just a little to get you thinking. It's great and you'll have fun.

btw I go in full clown but I thinks my looks pretty.... even had a gentlemen stand by his door waiting for me to come to his room and asked me to marry him. I did the whole hospital... small town, small hospital... clown rounds.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. maverick

maverick Member

tritontrouperscircus.com/book/export/html/112
    clowning 101

• Thanks Thanks x 1