1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get past two clubs... so frustrating.

Discussion in 'Juggling' started by Tilly, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Tilly

Tilly New Member

Okay, so I bought my first set of clubs last October, and I've been practicing with them a lot... but just like when I was learning balls oh so many years ago, I can't seem to get past two clubs. I don't know what the big difference is for me, but I think it's an "all in my head" issue.

Any tips from you club pros out there?

2. Dylan

Dylan Active Member

It has been a while since I was at that stage but from what I remember it is just a matter of comfort.

I would spend hours(yes, hours) juggling two clubs. Throw, Throw, Catch, Catch. As I did that I started to feel the rhythm of the missing club. I would try to add the third one in and fail. Repeat.

Also, how comfortable are you with 3 balls? I always find it helpful to do a longer warm up with balls then start practicing with clubs. That way your brain is already thinking about juggling.

One of the hardest parts of club juggling is the start. Having two clubs in one hand is a difficult thing at first. Maybe try two balls and one club, then two clubs one ball and finally three clubs.

Let me know if that helps. If I think of any other tips I'll let you know.

Dylan

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Tilly

Tilly New Member

I am very comfortable with three balls, and I do warm up with them first, as per the suggestion of Scoop (who convinced me to try clubs in the first place). I'll give the ball and club combo's a try.

4. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

Tilly, the ball/club combo helped me to get to three clubs so I recommend trying it as well. Another thing to practice is getting use to two clubs in one hand. You can do that by practicing the first toss with two clubs in one hand. Get the first toss at the right height and spin while starting with two clubs in one hand. Then practice two tosses but start with holding all three clubs. It will help you to get use to the start.

5. Tilly

Tilly New Member

Okay... so the ball/club combo is not helping me at all... I don't know if I'm just going about it all wrong or exactly what I'm doing. I struggle to hold the ball and a club in the same hand, and when I try to hold the two clubs in one hand and the ball in the other, I then find I'm not throwing the ball but instead trying to catch everything with the ball still in my hand.

However, if I try 3 clubs I DO throw all three, and as I've heard many times, a throw and a miss is better than not throwing at all when learning. So I don't really know where to go from here...

6. OkiDoki

OkiDoki New Member

Have you tried to do a lot a lot a lot of times throw, throw, throw, drop, drop, drop, throw, throw, throw, drop, drop, drop etc. (In front of a bench or bed so you don't have to bend so much.) Then only when you have to do your best not to catch catch whichever one,two or three of them. This exersice will help you to get out of your head isseu. It sound like you have that sticky third problem. Not daring to let go of that third club. So let go,let go and LET GO

How do you throw the club? The best way is throwing the club in a path 45 degrees crossing your body.

Another one I think is good to practice is doing a throw, catch , throw, catch and a throw,throw,catch, catch but then with the three clubs in your hand. This to make you really confortable with throwing one club while having two clubs in your hand and as well catching one club while holding the other in your hand as well.

Hope this helps

7. the two club rut does last a long time. I also recommend the combo. Worked well for me. 2 balls, 1 club. Then the opposite.

8. azzy

azzy Yes, We Have No Bananas

Hi Tilly! I'm not a very good juggler, but I'm probably close to your level so I can give a little advice.

personally, I think practicing with two clubs makes doing three more difficult, since the motion and timing is just different. My suggestion is first, be extremely comfortable with your club so know exactly how much is needed to flip it from one hand to the other. Try different distances, odd catches, high, low. Then go straight to three. drop them a lot, try different distances, spread your arms out, put them together, throw high, throw low, just keep doing it and dropping and trying to catch. At this point I don't think form is as important as actually doing it.

Once you are able to do a few rotations, you can start to work on form. Getting them under control. I do think it's a mental block, as a kid I tried to move from two balls to three for YEARS and never could, until somebody slowed it down for me and showed me how to do it with scarves. Scarves are totally different, but it just got that rhythm. I think three is just too dis-similar from two to be a good point.

Yeah, that was rambling. I hope you're doing better!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Freddie The Clown

Freddie The Clown New Member

youtube link that helped me...

Here is a youtube video that explains and shows you how to get to three clubs. Also, all the above info is great and is mostly in the video too! Have fun. I was able to get to three 'sort of' in an afternoon doing what is in the video. YOU CAN DO IT! :applause:

10. Dylan

Dylan Active Member

No link :(

11. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

Here Ya go this is the Youtube video that I used to learn Club Juggling.

Last edited: May 21, 2015