1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey

Discussion in 'Storytelling and Puppets' started by The Princess of Bozonia, Dec 30, 2014.

1. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Last night I watched Being Elmo, a documentary about Kevin Clash. The Elmo character he developed from an existing red monster puppet didn't come onto the scene until 1985... long after I stopped watching Sesame Street, so I never really understood all the Elmo hype. Yet seeing Kevin's undeniable talent from an early age and his professional journey was fascinating. (And I have little doubt that Kermit Love probably engineered his appearance on the Sesame Street float just to bring him, quaking with fear and admiration, to the attention of Jim Henson!)

The 2011 documentary (and the autobiography it was based on) contain nothing about the allegations that surfaced in 2012. It's definitely worth watching, if for no other reason than the behind-the-scenes looks at the famed Muppet Workshop.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Was this on PBS or some other station?

3. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

It originally aired on PBS, but now Being Elmo is available on Netflix streaming, iTunes, and YouTube.

• Thanks Thanks x 1