1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any christian clowns in touring circuses

Discussion in 'Church and Ministry Clowning' started by jesterjos, Mar 22, 2010.

1. jesterjos

jesterjos New Member

was wondering if there are any any people on here that are christians touring with circuses i am and its a hard way of life and i would love to share experiances and to support other in prayer who are doing this sort of work.
    god bless

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

i'm a christian but not touring with a circus.. i want to one day tho does that count? and i know lance brown on ringling's red show is a very strong christian. what circus are you with?

3. jesterjos

jesterjos New Member

im in a small but expanding rapidly circus in the uk cant say name on internet coz of contract thats cool to hear about lance ive been searching for other christans in the circus world for 2 years with no sucsess and wanting to tour and touring is very different unless you have toured its not somthing thats very easy to relate to its kinda like going to the office and then having to live and work with them with no break for 7 months in a very small and intamite space its very lonly ungodly ppl and stressfull a common phrase is if the caravans a rocking dont come a knocking but it dont help when you live in the other end of the same caravan and geting to church is a night mare as there is always work to be done im lucky if i can go more than once every 6 weeks however prayer support is always great.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

A couple of resources for you:

One is (since you are in the UK) Roly Bain. He's a Christian minister who is also a clown and might be willing to offer some practical support, guidance, or assistance.

Home

The other is from here in the States. But, perhaps, they can also offer some referrals or at least prayer support. There is a formal "circus ministry" provided via a number of people from around the country. The go to guy who heads it up is Fr. Jerry Hogan:

Home

Also, another priest who I have met and know to be involved in circus ministry (with connections to others who are likewise involved) is Fr. Richard Notter. A Google search will reveal a few links, but I'm not sure whether there is any contact info readily available. I could probably hunt down an email address for you, though, since he's involved with some of the circus organizations of which I'm a member.

There are some American clowns who have been with circuses who are Christians and might also be able to offer support and advice. You might find some of them on facebook or circuspace.

5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Are you doing your christian clowning in the circus? Is it a christian circus group?

6. jesterjos

jesterjos New Member

no and no unfortuantly its why im asking one for support and 2 coz eventually i would like to set up a touring christian circus for gap year students ect as there was nothing like this for me to do circus is where god wants me to be (he keeps getting me jobs without me having to look or advertise) but at the moment it s as a light to the performers im touring with which is very hard to do and is a very harsh enviroment as for the christian clowning i just do what my boss tells me to do but i have a few routiens that i us if i get asked to a church whilst on tour.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Zeeppo

Zeeppo New Member

I was the chaplain in my circus. we did not do any Christian Clowning as such becaue we were a for profit operation.

To be honest christians were not viewed with much esteme in the circus i was in. If you were a cirque and wanted to go to church you were often turned away at these small town churches. the idea of evangelising as a clown was something that we would simply not do.

Currently I run a troupe that does this. We were created to evangelise and visit people in hospitals.

I am fairly sure my expeince we fairly normal and the chance of finding clowns doing the Lord's work as circus member is small.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Alex

Alex ...much nicer in person!!!

what circus was this?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  9. Zeeppo

Zeeppo New Member

It is not me Joey

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. JimBo

JimBo New Member

I'm truly the luckiest clown on Earth. I work for a touring circus that is owned by a strong Christian couple. They have been married 47 years and demand the best behavior from their help. They also encourage attendance at Sunday service and will provide transportation if needed.
    You can visit their web site to learn more http://www.wix.com/bigtopmagic/big-top-magic

The owners are not pushy ,they lead by example. I'm truly blessed to work here. THANK YOU LORD.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  11. jesterjos

jesterjos New Member

thats really cool im in the uk and i am hopeing to set up a christian circus school/show that has at least 5 staff and 5 students we would train for 6 months and then tour for 6 months and it would also provide support for christians that are touring with other circuses as in the uk there isnt any support network and it is a very dark godless place most of the time but thanks for the encouragement

jos

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. sassafrass

sassafrass New Member

have you found the resources you needed.if i can help email me

13. jesterjos

jesterjos New Member

at the moment its not the resourses that i need as much as the other christians from the circus world in terms of staff i can do this on my own but im finding it very hard to to find other christians working in circus and im looking for ppl with a range of things like areiel manipulation acrobatics balence skills and then ther is money for the equipment however at the moment i am looking at this as a long term goal and i know god will provide just hard not knowing as for help now any ppl or a free tent would be lovley and a place to live in norfolk and all sorts but i just got to pray and work to get some of the money to be able to achive these things

14. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

15. unkabubbathaclown

unkabubbathaclown New Member

christian circus clowns

So you are looking for an american indian hoop dancer and fancy dancer?

16. NormaL T. Joey

NormaL T. Joey New Member

17. CoCo and JoJo

CoCo and JoJo New Member

Yes CoCo and JoJo met

The want a be CoCo met circus clowns that love the Lord at http://circusmagicconvention.com/ it was a adventure for CoCo for sure

I lived in Tulsa Oklahoma yearly as a child we visited the Ringler Barney Circus Big Top and I wanted to hug a clown sadly not within budget it cost to do so . Than almost 40 years later I would be CoCo in full costume to meet them in person . Watch what you wish for as a child for sure LOL . But now another cherish moment for CoCo and JoJo

So if want to meet them schelde your calendar and expect the unexpected to happen for it will surely happen LOL

:applause:

18. V

V Well-Known Member

The block of text you quoted was hard to follow on a good day. I'm on my sixth or seventh Wolaver (I know, questionable topic in a christian clown thread, but what can you do?), so it's likely increasingly difficult for me to follow in particular. With that being said; if indeed you are looking for a hoop dancer; I can't recommend Spiral enough. I met her for the first time at a festival I was working in 2008 (or 2009, I can't remember which year); and to date, have never met a more proficient performer.

Will she work for you? Probably not. I think she's bigger than your show ( no offense intended, just an observation/opinion); but she produces some downloadable tutorial on hooping that is of quality to teach an aspiring hoopster the ropes. (for less than $20 - a steal)

19. NormaL T. Joey

NormaL T. Joey New Member