1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Democrat Candidate! Yay!!

Discussion in 'Political Jokes' started by Pookie, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Wow!!! That is a thought out and mostly well worded response.

There are things I can find that you got wrong. However, you gave a direct and thoughtful response to Mongo. So, I'll pass on a critique of your post.

Well done.

2. Mongo The Clown

Mongo The Clown Active Member

Well if I'm wrong, let me know how. That's not "critique," that's conversation. I just want to understand the Hillary allure because I want to know what I'm missing here.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. V

V Well-Known Member

The conversation you're wanting is in regards to a mythos around Hillary Clinton that isn't really there. She's not amassing hordes of followers so that she can win the nomination and probable Presidency. She's amassing hordes of followers because unless something drastic happens, she's a safe bet to pencil in as the winner. My reflection and conversation simply is there to show that if there were another worthy candidate, people would be venting about <insert candidate here>'s troubled past and their incredulous inability to see the appeal of said candidate.

So, I guess the short answer is that Democrat voters are rallying around her because she's the most probably victor of the next White House election. Media outlets cover those followers so it seems like "everyone" is following her. It's perception - if you don't like her then it will seem like she has hordes of blindly loyal followers. If you like her, it's a rallying call. If you're objective, then you most likely see that the field on both sides of the fence are full of weak candidates other than a popular name here or there....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mongo The Clown

Actually the conversation I'm trying to have is, given Hilllary's sketchy and outright scandal-ridden past, penchant for deception and cover-up and the non-accomplishment of her record, why ANYONE would support her for ANY office. Her facebook page has well over a million followers with thousands of breathless, gushing, fawning comments pledging money, support and votes. Her campaign fund has amassed millions of dollars. I KNOW she's trailing in almost every poll, I KNOW the field is pretty anemic right now and there's not a lot to pick from but I disagree that she'll win by some sort of default.

So what I'm getting at is, besides her last name being Clinton, what exactly has she accomplished and what exactly are her redeeming qualities that earns what respect and loyalty she has, whatever it's scope?

I'm going to have to reiterate that I'm not attacking Mrs. Clinton. I'm not a raging right-winger. I don't vote along party lines- my stance on issues is a lot like yours, V. What I'm doing is trying to determine if there is something good about Hillary that I'm missing or if people are just voting for the Clinton/Democrat brand regardless of what that entails.

5. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Most people I encounter who are supporting Hilary are taking a "don't screw this up" mentality. They know she can win. They don't want a Republican to win. They fear that a lesser, more radical, or fringe candidate as the Democratic nominee could lose the election. So she is seen as the best option among real circumstances.

Could the Republican convention become brokered, with none of the candidates becoming the actual nominee? That could be quite the political circus.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Mongo The Clown

What a horrible, horrible state of affairs we find ourselves in when politics has degraded to the point that we have to vote for a terrible, untrustworthy person because we only want someone from a particular party to win. If what you are saying is true, Tim, then we have become a nation of apathetic sheep and elections are a sham.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. tim

Imperfect people in an imperfect world with imperfect polis. Such is the state of human society, alas.

8. Barnie Bonkers

Barnie Bonkers Well-Known Member

Alla Pookie's anti-Obama post.....it is Kinda funny that after watched the Republican debates.....all of them were... lame.... lame ... lame...

WOAH Pookie.... If that is the best your party can do.... because if it is.....Hilary is going to win..
    (then we get to hear you whine again for the next 8 years?

Your Partys only hope is StormTrumper .. and that is even lamer....

HA.... HA...Vote Republican, because we want a Clown in Office.....

9. tim

Those sound like magic words....

...and, POOF, all the politicians disappear!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Uh, I haven't mentioned President Obama, so I'm not sure where you see anti-Obama.

Maybe it's part of that magic trick Tim mentioned. Or an inability to keep with the point that's actually being made and then insert some non sequitor, which seems just a little too prevalent for some...

11. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

And just a thought...

I mentioned Governors Bush and Christie being Demimonde Party candidates because it's not like the Demimonde Party has produced any real candidates.

12. V

V Well-Known Member

On the GOP debate (and aftermath..)

Kasich did well, but he was bolstered by a friendly home crowd and while I give him relatively high marks for the debate, I'll wait and see how he does in coming months before I make up my mind about him.

Carly Fiorina did well and has continued to do fairly well in the following days. Too many are jumping on her bandwagon after the first debate and I don't know that will last. Like Kasich, I basically need to see more of her and learn more about her before I make up my mind about her.

Ted Cruz did fairly well in the debate and going off that alone he comes across as a genuinely legitimate candidate. Unfortunate for him... he has a few years of crazy history and a crazy tea-party association to go along with it. Unlike in the above scenarios of wanting to see more of the candidates, I can't see myself voting for him in very many situations.

Donald Trump laid an egg in the debate but to be fair, I think his post debate comments are being trumped up (no bad pun intended). He's going strong now, but I'd be surprised if he's in serious contention in the final stages. I don't love him or hate him really. I'd have to see him in a serious debate with a legitimate contender before I passed judgement, but he'll eventually need to get to the issues with more than rhetoric..

Jeb Bush did ok, but as I mentioned earlier in this (maybe another thread)... several of his stances are questionable - education, crime,environment... He's not in my list on absolutely never getting a vote yet, but he isn't far from it really..

Ben Carson did well enough in his brief time allotment. He's famous for a speech against Obama and that's not enough to become President on. Evidently a very good doctor, likely a decent human being, but I don't know what kind of President he'd be. He needs some serious screen and debate time before people can make up their mind about him.

Rand Paul... Wow. Just, wow.... really? If you took Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, Ross Perot, Rush Limbaugh, Cindy Sheehan, and whichever other nut-jobs you wanted to add into the mix; you'd only get someone half as crazy as Rand Paul. Zero percent chance I'd ever vote for this stooge.

Chris Christie was basically irrelevant in the debate. He needs more time in the debate forum to make his case but I still think he's in the same boat Rudy Guiliani was in a few years ago in that Rudy may have been our President if he was in an election that happened closer to 9/11 and his popularity was off the charts. Christie had a similar, yet smaller wave of popularity after the storms hit the east coast a few years ago. Back then everyone was telling him how cool he was but since then, America has moved on from that crush.

Mike Huckabee did ok, but he was playing for the 'home team' in a sense. He was a Fox News guy for a long time and like Kasich, had the benefit of friendly faces. He's a decent enough speaker and even if he isn't a legitimate contender, I'd like to see him make the later rounds of debates.

@Pookie - I agree that the Democrats haven't fielded anyone that would make a decent President. Honestly, the field is only Clinton and she really looks worse every day. the Democrat party needs more horses in the race for sure but who knows how it will be. Talks of Biden coming into the race but I don't know how realistic he is as a candidate for President. Two ways this seems to be playing out - Clinton keeps putting stuff out there to bury herself and she isn't a serious contender next year, or, all this stuff has come out so early that people won't really care about it come general election. I really hope someone enters the race who can really challenge her for the nomination because while I'd most likely cast my ballot for Bill if he were eligible again, I don't know that I'd vote for her if the election were today. As of 8/10/15 - my nightmare general election scenario is a Clint vs. Paul (or Cruz, or Perry - but we all know he doesn't stand a chance..)

In a holding pattern for now I guess seeing how the debates play out. The Republican side anyway since I don't know that we can even have a Democrat debate so much as a Clinton Q&A with talking points...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

V, I'm enjoying your posts, They're well thought out and I find myself agreeing with you on a lot of things. I have a feeling we vote in similar ways. (Even if we disagree on some of the different topics) I can't stand straight ticket voters in either direction. There is no one candidate that I would agree on every single topic with. It'd be impossible, So I have to look at them all and weigh which issues I agree with them on vs the ones I don't and see which hold more importance to me. Personally Fiscal issues are the big ticket items for me, while more social issues hold a back seat because they're going to do what they do no matter who's in office.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. Mongo The Clown

THAT is probably the most intelligent thing I've seen anyone say about politics and voting. The main problem with politics is the team mentality and jingoism that almost always take priority over issues and policy. That's why today's politics is little else but "us against them," venomous dialogue and one shameless lie after another and everyone likes to pretend that THEIR side isn't the one doing it. We need a lot more fiscal responsibility and less bumper sticker slogans and handouts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

I can explain in one concise sentence why Madame Secretary Rodham Clinton will likely not be the Demimonde Party candidate.

I would post it, but it would probably get me kicked off the forum, which is, honestly, not what I want.

16. tim

Because she's constantly spewing blood from her body?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Groan Groan x 1
  17. V

V Well-Known Member

That was, allegedly, Megan Kelly...

*bad taste zing..?..*

18. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Wwwoooowwwww...

Where did that come from..?

I mean, seriously, where in the name of Randolph Mantooth did that come from??

19. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

ummm Have you not been listening to any of the news about Donald Trump in the last week? The Don is where THAT came from..

20. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, I knew about Trump.

I meant where did it come from as far as my contributions to this thread. I don't think like that.

The reason I mentioned has to do with the the character of large groups of people who vote for the Demimonde Party. Which may have been proven here...