1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An exploding cream pie

Discussion in 'Skit and Improv' started by ibimus, Jan 14, 2007.

1. ibimus

ibimus New Member

So I've been creating this cooking skit, and I decided that cream pies need to play some part in it. However, since I'm clowning alone, I can't throw it at anyone, so I got to thinking that it could just expode in my face.
    I'm not really sure how to make it do that. Any suggestions? Like a hidden pump or something...I'm not really sure how that would work. :p

2. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

how do you want it to explode?
    If you want to be able to control it, I would go to a thrift shop and get a cheap metal pie pan, drill two holes thru it across from each other about a half inch up from the bottom of the pan. next,buy a new, clean wooden mouse trap, place it in the bottom of the pan,set it,an run a piece of wire thru the two holes, across the top of the trap. it should now be locked in place, and safe to handle. BTW, you might need to screw the trap to the bottom of the pan to keep it in place. For the load, I would cut a piece of poster board so that it fits into the bottom of the pan. Cover with whipped cream. Theoretically, it will be light enough that when you release the wire, it will flip the card board up and make a big mess.
    This is an untested prop. I don't question the trap in the pan, but make sure the card board is not a tight fit, and that the lock pin sticks out about an inch on the opposite side so that you can handle it in a fairly normal manner without tripping it. If any of our other prop engineers have Ideas, I am interested in hearing them. This is a good exercise in brainstorming.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. ibimus

ibimus New Member

Well, you know how on cartoons things just explode in a burst. Sort like dynamite explodes. :p I'm looking to end the skit by looking at (maybe smelling or admiring) the pie, and it'll burst into my face. So, yes, I need to do it on command.

A moustrap sounds good...better than anything I've come up with. :D I'll play around with that idea. :pie:

All of my ideas have consisted of extremely complicated tubes, air pressure, pumps, balloons, and more caculations than brain surgery. Yikes!

Thanks, Scruff!

4. ashes

ashes New Member

Or, you can hold the pie and trip, thus causing you to
    thrust the pie into your own face.

Or maybe sneeze and end up face-first in the pie.

Ashes

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

All my suggestions would have involved pumps, tubing, and balloons too. :) I hope you'll make a video of this skit when you've got everything figured out, it sounds like it'll be great!

6. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Shaving cream.

7. ibimus

ibimus New Member

What if it gets in my mouth.....? :(

Ashes, I think I may end up just doing that. It's simpler and safer than anything else...

My task for tonight is to get all of my thoughts about this onto paper (that could get messy) and get a proper skit written up...wish me luck!

And thanks for the help. :D

8. tim

It's just soap, really. Shaving cream is more stable as a substance and easier to clean off your costume, ultimately. It's what has traditionally been used for such gags, actually.

9. ashes

ashes New Member

To me, simpler is better.

I've seen all sorts of rigged props, but to me that just
    means more to carry and more things that can go wrong.

Just my opinion.

Ashes

10. ashes

ashes New Member

And I agree with the shaving cream - plain, not menthol.

Ashes

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  11. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Ibimus,
    Did you follow up an this skit? If so, how did it turn out? One thing that I've learned from a number of clowns that use pies, is that you might want to put a layer of foam in the bottom of the pan before adding the shaving cream. This way there is a little cushion for your nose when you get hit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. GabbyGayle

GabbyGayle New Member

if you are just going to trip and fall into it, you should order the foam pie plate from peachey keene. his are wonderful. we used one to pie tom in the face for charity on his birthday.

13. NormaL T. Joey

NormaL T. Joey New Member

Hi my name is NormaL T. Joey. I am a Circus Clown First of May 1980. I think if you took a balloon and only add a small amount of air you could cover the balloon with whip cream in a pie pan and pop the balloon at will......you will have to practise the pop of the balloon to get the right amount of air......Love you Allll......Clown NormaL T. Joey

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Great Idea

Very Interesting
    Never Thought Of That

15. Grandpa Weatherbie

Grandpa Weatherbie Well-Known Member

How about a hand held mirror?

Just Jim...

16. ToonUp

ToonUp Member

I've been wrestling with this one for a while now. I tried the mouse trap, but it didn't have enough spring power to lift even a full foam pie. I tried a rat trap, with slight modification to hold the pie and protect finger, but it's results were chaotic, and not in a good way. First, the pie flipped when it should have flopped, second attempt, it bounced slightly, above the snapping trap, but not high enough to be useful, third attempt, the pie got caught in the trap, and finally, the rig broke.
    Have also tried bomb bags, the little foil packs with baking soda and a capsule of vinegar inside, but those just pop without any usable explosive force.
    As to the "accidentally" falling into the pie method, it's difficult to make it believable. It's simple enough to fall into a cake, or have the cake fall on you, but that's a large and expensive messy prop. The pie is too small a target to fall into, and the only way I can think to make it reliably fall on to you is if you can balance the pie on a stick which is balanced on your chin (and that kind of feat doesn't really match a cooking skit). The sneeze method seems forced unless you use a pepper trigger that you established and used earlier in the skit (that means exaggerated sneezes where your empty hands rush to your nose, so your pie laden hands will do the same later).

My aspiring inventive side is figuring out how to construct a triggered arm in a box that would would extend the pie to the face of an admiring clown. The extension device I'm thinking about would be like the one featured in this ad: YouTube - Comcast On Demand commercial pie
    I'll let you know if this invention is a success.

17. jghclown

jghclown New Member

Hi,
    I have a thought. How about the pie be on a seasaw board on a table. You could do the idea of a fly and you go to swat the fly and the board pushes the pie in your face. It would require a specail table and attaching the pie to the other end.

18. Salvo The Clown

Salvo The Clown Active Member

When I started 42 years ago, the troupe I worked with at the time used to use Lux soap flakes in a bucket with a little water and an electric drill with a whisk on it, whisk up the soap in a bucket, with a little water in, using the drill then when you've got enough foam built up just keep creaming off until you've reached the amount required.

However, one word of caution if using soap of any kind always clear the soap away from your eyes and mouth and most certainly do not inhale or you'll be sorry :)

Another idea of having an exploding cake is bury a balloon in the centre of the cake, i.e. foam, with easy access to one side of it to burst the balloon. Only draw back to this idea is you would be unable to control where the foam would finally end up :) I trust these ideas will be of some assistance and your show will be a Great Success.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. tim

I miss ibimus!

20. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Im just curious as shaving cream is a soap how do you remove the cream with out the make up a costume change is easy but a make up redo and am assuming a nose redo as well can be time consuming Or is this an end of the show kind of thing, What if you have to do two shows in a day?