1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing "Joey" puppet from War Horse

Discussion in 'Storytelling and Puppets' started by The Princess of Bozonia, Dec 5, 2013.

1. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

I saw "War Horse" at Lincoln Center late last year, and was amazed at the intricate horse puppets; here's a closer look at them:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

This was a really excellent show (I attended the touring production last year in Chicago), and the horse puppet was just phenomenal. I also saw a PBS special on how they put together the show and puppetry which was wonderful insight into the inner workings of puppetry.

I really wish that more clowns would study something about puppetry at a deeper level than the sometimes simplistic and hokey. There is a ton of potential therein.

(If you're on the west coast, may I greatly recommend getting out to see a show at Bob Baker Marionettes in L.A. for awesome classic presentations of the kind of work which you don't catch many places anymore.)

Puppetry is hot as an artistic movement. Find some puppetry group, show, or cabaret in your area and check it out! There is a lot more there than you might have ever thought and it can be an excellent outlet for people who think with the creativity of clowns.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I think rather than study, there needs to be sort of a network where clowns can interface with dedicated puppeteers. Mainly because for the most part it seems like two disciplines.

A huge part of clowning, it seems, is developing body language. Facial expressions, exaggerated movements, whatnot.

To be an expert puppeteer, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on design and conveying emotions through a mechanical construct.

While it's not mutualy exclusive --- Mummenshanz does a little of both, for example --- I think most of the time performers fall on one category or the other. For example, when I see a clown perform puppetry, it's usually not something of their own creation.

But... if you pair up someone with excellent body language with someone who's skilled in puppetry, I think you can make something magical happen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1