1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alright all you ministry types

Discussion in 'Church and Ministry Clowning' started by Simply Knute, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

Ok, So I don't do much ministry clowning, but I was asked by a former college professor of mine to clown at their church based kid's soccer league awards ceremony. He said that I would have about 10 minutes on stage to do something with the theme of "God loves you and wants to be a part of your life." and then walk around for about an hour after that.

I can't stand most of the corny ministry skits that aren't funny, and it will just be me so I can't do a multi-person skit.

Does anyone have any ideas for maybe a way I can incorporate that into a magic trick, or some other sort of routine?

2. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

You know, I had to do an Awana lesson that was 10 minutes teaching and two hours of balloon twisting. Whooshsplat's strategy sounds fairly good. I probably wouldn't have done the teaching portion, but the Awana leader insisted I do it.

To switch things up, the message part was delivered by a puppet. It was a lesson from Healing Wings about appreciating diversity, based on the bible vere for 1 John 4:7-8. The puppet was tasting gumballs and coming to the conclusion that while they were all different, they were also all good. The parents thought the kids paid more attention than when it was just them lecturing.

Another one that I've done is one based on the old Shield of Faith verse. I constructed a shield out of foam board, and then got a bunch of cheap toy guns that shot suction cup darts. So I had the kids try to shoot me while I hid behind the shield. It was fun, but there are two problems: 1.) the kids don't ever want to let go of their toy guns, and 2.) the teacher of the class can get pretty fed up if those kids don't give up their toy guns or share with the next kid.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  3. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

Is giving kids toy guns, a good idea? Does it do anything other than introduce to them the evils of the adult world and help normalize the concept of shooting each other? Our are you of the opinion that eight year olds should be armed because the nine year olds are out of control?

Would Jesus like you giving guns to children?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. LuvLee

LuvLee Well-Known Member

I would never give the kids guns and then invite them to "shoot Me"...that's not how the shield of faith should be taught, in my opinion. However, using well known members of the congregation as the puppets gave the kids a lot of laughs.
    They loved having a ladies voice coming out of the pastor and the pastors voice for the woman, etc...out of character seems to hit the funny bone. It was a success and nobody was hurt. I feel YOU should be enjoying what you do best and the kids will enjoy that as well.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  5. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

I have to sign a contract for my oldest, long standing, repeat gigs. One of the clauses and stipulations is, absolutely no violence or reference to violence. I was originally disappointed and frustrated to find that included my water pistols. But I accepted this restriction and then found that I really liked it. I adopted this policy as my own, for all future children's shows. I include absolutely nothing in my shows with kids, that makes any reference to any form of violence in the adult world. If I were to twist balloons, that would include such things as pirate swords and bows and arrows.

I don't expect many here will agree with what I am about to say. It reflects more a difference in mine and your societies and values, rather than an opinion of your entertaining skills but I sincerely believe this. There are so many fun things to entertain children with, it demonstrates a particularly dull and unimaginative mind, if you can't think to not introduce guns and other forms of violence into your shows.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

My dearest Mr. Whooshsplat,

What could possibly give you cause to suspect I might be a bucket kind of a guy? (Apart from of course, my nom de plume, "Old Bucket Spitter"). While I consider myself to be a man of the world, happy to embrace and adopt many a new-fangled custom or practice, I do have standards and my dignity to maintain. I find the abominable American taste for eating deep fried food from buckets, a rather nauseating and repellent concept. Call me a "prude", a "stuffed shirt" or a "Holy Joe", if you must. But no matter how old and out dated I may appear to be, I'm afraid your "buckets", might prove to be, a step too far for my delicate sensibilities. I prefer to continue with that quaint, old, civilized tradition, still practiced by those with taste and decency, to eating my food from a plate, with a knife and fork.

Yours most sincerely,

BD

P.S.

I wonder whether I misunderstood your reference to "bucket". Perhaps you weren't referring to an American eating implement but in fact, you were alluding to that other peculiar American bucket phenomena, that of the Ice Bucket Challenge? Again this is something I would prefer not to participate in. I find the idea of throwing a bucket of freezing water over me in order to appear charitable, while secretly wishing to look cool on Youtube, a rather bizarre concept.

But being something of a hipster, I'll do the Warm Bucket Challenge, which is similar to the Ice Bucket Challenge but before it becomes cool.

Yours most sincerely,

BD

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  7. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

So...no squirting pickles?

8. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I thought buckets were for carrying around your chicken.

9. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Y'know, a "squirting pickle" seems strangely appropriate for Valentines Day, or VD for that matter. Wink, wink; nudge, nudge...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. tim

*I* didn't say it!

11. Pickles

But maybe not my library Valentine's Day show...

12. Pickles

Wait a second....Weren't we talking about Gospel clowning?

13. tim

I baptize you!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. tim

Gotta spread the "good news."

15. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

It's a shame you hadn't asked for ideas about Noah and the flood, Knute. I have just watched the film so am fully conversant with all the facts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Finney

Finney New Member

Now *there's* a shocker! ;)

And, Knutey-knute, old boy, old bean, I have no idea if the gig is still future tense, but IMHO, if you're not a preacher, don't preach. Make with the funny and all will be well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

Ha it was back in October. I think I ended up just working "Jesus loves you" into a couple of my magic tricks and called it a day.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. tim

This I know.

19. Finney

Finney New Member

Funny you should ask, my esteemed Mr. Splat... I was just about to post all about it!