1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

58 year old/new clown

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Skip, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Skip

Skip New Member

Hi everyone, I'm 58 retired and a Shriner ( if you don't know what a Shriner is google it as it would take too long to type out) I have been doing white face just for fun for several years but now I'm thinking about being a Shrine circus clown and about 14 parades a year. the only problem I have , really is figuring out what kind to be. White face is what i'll be but what kind, golfer, boat skipper with little boat or a snorkeler using a sea do to parade. how do you pick?

2. Squirty

Squirty New Member

Hello from another Shriner in Kansas. I've been doing the clown thing here for about a year. Good times! I'd say the golfer is a good theme, but the idea of a clown with a snorkel and flippers wandering around sounds funny. Besides, think of the fun you could have with fish props.

3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Pick whichever you like most or best fits your personality. Or, pick the one you think you have the best chance of finding the perfect costume and prop to match the character. Pick more than one and go with whichever is a better fit for the season, weather, or parade theme. Have a winter/Christmas parade, go with something snow related or be goofy and dress for a trip to the beach. The upcoming theme for a local parade is Jive Back to the 1940s, so that too can be the inspiration for a costume/character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

Parades changes your thinking. You need to remember that you are walking, getting hot, really do not want to carry a lot. So I would say keep it simple in props, costumes,face and wigs.
    I think it good you want to do parades there are fewer and fewer clowns doing them . In my area there a limit of clowns and that put me with all the parades that I can handle.
    In a parade remember 30 seconds to give laughs and smiles also that means a lot of laughs and smiles by the end of the parade.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Skip

Skip New Member

Which Shrine? Ararat here like the name and how you got it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Squirty

Squirty New Member

I'm down the road at the Isis temple.

7. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

Hello. I'm not a Shriner. I'm a Farmer's Market Auguste Clown...and I love it!!! When I first started clowning around six years ago I picked out several costumes and tried different things on until I found the right thing that identifies me. I love being a food clown. Find what works for you and go with it!

8. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Skip the Clown! That isn't good advice, if you want to get hired.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  9. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

Which advice are you talking about?

10. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

Sorry Tim. I see now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

I do lot's of parades and I found the best way is the simplest. I go with light make up ( usually hot, hot,hot) my customers is simple use tennis shoes instead of clown shoes ( parades some time really long need to be comfortable) and my props are simple and easy to carry. Glad here you are jumping in there good luck and many laughs and smiles to you

• Agree Agree x 1